WHAT KIND OF "PEOPLE" FOOD CAN CHICKENS EAT?

Sorry to rain on your parade Michael, but that very link seems to suggest that avocados aren't necessarily so toxic to chickens versus other animals: "while chickens and turkeys appear more resistant." And did you see the amounts necessary to be toxic to sheep?

Lets get real - scraps of any of these foods are simply not a toxicity concern.

But rumor has it that reading too many internet lists causes a severe loss of common sense in 67.4% of subjects tested.

No parade to rain on. Just the facts. If a certain food has been proven to be toxic to an animal, and one has taken the responsibility for the health of that animal, it is only reasonable to avoid feeding those foods which can be detrimental to the animal's health. There's some common sense. Common sense isn't so common if one were to examine the numerous posts with people suggesting all sorts of unhealthy and even toxic items be fed to birds. New folks entering the hobby, business, etc., of keeping poultry should not be misled, and should be provided with truthful and accurate information. If you want to argue about what common sense is, you can find someone else who wants to waste their time. I won't.

Well, since you seem to know more than the contributors to the Merck Veterinary Manual, explain this. According to the Merck Veterinary Manual: "Ingestion of avocado has been associated with myocardial necrosis in mammals and birds. Cattle, goats, horses, mice, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats, sheep, budgerigars, canaries, cockatiels, ostriches, chickens, turkeys, and fish are susceptible. Ingestion of fruit, leaves, stems, and seeds of avocado has been associated with toxicosis in animals; however leaves are the most toxic part."

Here's the link for those who want to see some other foods, plants, chemicals, that are toxic: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/toxicology/food_hazards/avocado.html

For the record, the factual basis of the Merck Veterinary Manual existed long before the internet.

Perhaps that's all just too dramatic for some people. The rest will use good sense.
There's no "explanation" needed if you understood what I said
You're making a big deal about it "being toxic", but ignoring the AMOUNTS that have to be consumed to actually cause harm

Here's a good example from your source:

Quote: It took nearly 9 grams to kill a bird that only weighs 30-40 grams
So you're talking about 25-33% of its body weight

A 4 pound chicken would have to eat a POUND of Avocado

Also from your source:
Quote: The fact that some plants "contain toxins" doesn't mean much in the real world

Quote: Exactly, which means all the details and not just the scary parts
wink.png

You know... 87% of statistics are just made up on the spot! My girls get whatever scraps are around. Who the heck has spare chocolate just laying around? Silliness!

Many years ago (1970) the Medical Journals contained an article that "saccharin" caused cancer in humans. They based this on studies performed on rats. What they did not tell you is that they fed the lab rats 400x their body weight in saccharin during a confined time period to cause the tumors to grow. My DH (who is Type 1 diabetic) has used saccharin for over 20 years and has no health related issues as a result of it.

I am astonished what people believe as "truth" because it is "on the internet". I may be blond and squirelly (according to DH) but even I know better than to believe most of what is on the internet regardless of the source. NOTHING BEATS EXPERIENCE!

Last edited:
There's no "explanation" needed if you understood what I said
You're making a big deal about it "being toxic", but ignoring the AMOUNTS that have to be consumed to actually cause harm

Not making a "big deal" at all. Just merely referencing facts. You can pick at amounts of toxins for weeks to come. That still doesn't doesn't mean over a period of time, ingestion of those substances listed in the Merck Veterinary Manual aren't detrimental to the health of birds. Common sense. Which proves my point in reference to the ignorant statement of,"Chickens can eat anything humans can eat", by NYREDS. Truth matters.

The fact that some plants "contain toxins" doesn't mean much in the real world

Sure it does. Unless you live in a world where those plants don't exist.

Exactly, which means all the details and not just the scary parts
wink.png

The information doesn't exist to scare anyone, only inform them of research performed, and the truth of that research. If you find that offensive, or worth arguing about, I suggest you contact the editors of the Merck Veterinary Manual. I'll even provide the contact link for you: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/index.html
Now, I will get ready to go to a memorial for a good man and friend who recently died of cancer, so I won't waste any more time today arguing with someone's self importance taking precedent over truth on a forum.

Last edited:
Sorry to rain on your parade Michael, but that very link seems to suggest that avocados aren't necessarily so toxic to chickens versus other animals: "while chickens and turkeys appear more resistant." And did you see the amounts necessary to be toxic to sheep?

Lets get real - scraps of any of these foods are simply not a toxicity concern.

But rumor has it that reading too many internet lists causes a severe loss of common sense in 67.4% of subjects tested.

That's the real key to avoiding paranoid overreaction. Feeding your chickens nothing but Avocado is probably a bad idea. Giving them your left over Guacamole isn't really a problem.
I suspect 67.4% is an underestimate.

Back
Top Bottom