What kind of screw and washer should I use to attach hardware cloth?

hmmm, ok maybe it's because it was untreated lumber. I always use PT for anything that's going to be exposed to the weather, even if I'm going to paint or stain it. gotta love those magnets though! i have a couple of them too.....

Super handy magnets for sure. Pretty effective at picking up even tiny pieces of metal. I figured the top let go first since the snow would build up some on the top and the wind would howl making the fence shake.
hu.gif

I've never seen a crown staple fall out ever. I drive them flush if not slightly down from flush and drive them at an angle and use a lot of the driven at random angles to make them even stronger

You have treated wood so watch what hardware you use. That’s probably what JD was talking about. You need different hardware for treated wood.

Many people use screws and washers but I don’t. I take a strip of wood, ½” to ¾” thick and lay that over the ends of the hardware cloth, drill a pilot hole so the wood doesn’t split, and screw that on. With treated wood, get the screws especially made for treated wood. Just clamping the wood on tight will hold it, but putting the screws through holes in the hardware cloth makes it all that much more secure. The wood also covers the ends of the hardware cloth so it looks neat and does not snag your clothes or skin.

The risk to this is that the wood can split if you don’t drill pilot holes (which makes it a lot easier to start the screws anyway) or if you use wood too thin or too brittle. I use a table saw and rip mine out of a 2x4.

When people talk about staples, they are not talking about the kind of staples you use to staple a few pieces of paper together. I’ve seen that confusion on here before. They are talking about the heavy duty construction staples.

I also use the fencing staples you drive in with a hammer on round fence posts where covering it with a strip of flat wood is more difficult. I don’t use the ¾” poultry staples because I don’t think they are robust enough to keep a raccoon form pulling them out. I use 1-1/4” fencing staples. When installing them you need the piece you are driving them into to be pretty solid. If the piece is thin it can split or if it can vibrate or is flimsy these staples are a real pain to drive in.

There are different ways to do this. I just like using wood and screws instead of screws and washers. I have not compared costs but by ripping a 2x4 instead of buying already cut wood for this, I don’t think it costs all that much, but I have a good table saw. What tools you have or are willing to buy, rent, or borrow make a difference.

Good luck!
Good advice. I could not get a pneumatic stapler to penetrate pressure treated wood. I had strips of walnut and it works great. Faster than stapling and more secure. Thank-you for this post. It has really helped me build my chicken tractor.

Back
Top Bottom