Attaching Hardware Cloth to Run

Hog rings for sure. Amazon has the pliers and stainless steel hog rings. Get a good pair of the pliers. It makes it a lot easier on you.
I used stainless steel zip ties (Amazon) threaded through the hardware cloth around corner posts, to keep raccoons from pulling on the hardware cloth and popping the staples. Staples were 3/8” HD put in with an electric stapler, every 4”.
IMG_3956.jpeg

what is the best way to attach the hardware cloth
Zip ties! Harbor Freight tools on sale this weekend. Easy to apply, easy to cut/remove. 1/4" mesh wire.

If it's just to keep baby chicks from wandering off (and driving momma nuts) a foot up the 'walls' will do fine. If you're hoping to keep critters out, that's another story altogether.

Rats and mice tunnel underground, snakes can slither up must anything to find an opening. I just pen the animals in - my snakes prefer the mice/rats to chickens & eggs, so . . .

Never thought about raccoons! THen again, never saw one near a coop on my place - or anywhere else on our acreage.

Possums! Moles! but no coons.

$$ Ties are likely way overkill! If you wanted metal ties - Hog Rings are likely cheaper and as difficult to remove as $$.

Better to spend your $$ on feed!.

Last edited:
i have something similar and used zip ties. our run is entirely hardware cloth, except for under the shade cloth, that i used the chicken wire we already had on hand, folded off center so the spaces are smaller, secured in place and put the tarp over top. for the apron i used more hardware cloth, zip tied to the run itself and used landscaping staples hammered into the ground to secure, covered in landscape cloth and mulch.

check your seams periodically, sometimes the plastic ties will loosen slightly or get damaged by severe weather fluctuations. but overall, if you don't have wood to attach your screen by, its the simplest solution. we used the metal zip ties at stress points and heavy duty plastic for the rest.

Back
Top Bottom