Attaching hardware cloth to run. Inside or outside?

Inside? Outside?

• Inside

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Outside

Votes: 50 80.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters
pre- stained the lumber
What is that 'green?' wire/tube thing?
1699807757647.png

Next time, just stain the lumber before you assemble the coop:D

outside. its because predators will fling themselves at hens before noticing the wire. my run can withstand a 96 lb dog at full tilt, because of the wire being secured from the outside.

how do i know? i have a 90+lb dog that has a high prey drive. who flings himself at the run twice a day, like clockwork.

looking nice only goes so far when a flock's life is on the line.

Whether hardware cloth on inside or outside, the only animal pushing through would be a bear(?). Harware cloth on inside with trim will look much nicer and also, if you live in a cold climate and you wrap your coop, its much easier to do without hardware cloth,staple,screws, in the way. My hardware cloth is inside and I wrap the coop in the winter. If there were hardware cloth on the outside, it would be annoying. Especially hanging it to staple and working around the hardware cloth. I dunno, just my quick opinions. Good luck! 🐓❤️

I made the point of a predator will likely try to push in so stapled to the outside will be stronger.

Dad thinks stapled to the inside will look nicer.

I started pushing for stapled to the outside with the edges covered by furring strips. He wants to know why I'm spending so much money on chickens.
ALL my money goes to the Chickens!!! LOL!😉

Example —
This winterization, I bought the more expensive clear plastic used for window-type insulations instead of the usual farmers construction plastic 6mil sheeting to cover their Outdoor Run.
— I LOVE IT! Everything’s SO clear that the Chickens really love it a lot more too! That other stuff was pretty cloudy…

— It’s called Flex-o-Glass if anyone’s interested in checking it out! 🤗😄

I made the point of a predator will likely try to push in so stapled to the outside will be stronger.

Dad thinks stapled to the inside will look nicer.

I started pushing for stapled to the outside with the edges covered by furring strips. He wants to know why I'm spending so much money on chickens.

Your Dad is right - inside would look nicer, but it's not as safe for your chickens.

Solution: attach outside and put furring strips up. A little extra cost, but it does make it look nice.

Here's a pic of our build - the front corner has a furring strips installed on the side but not yet on the front. It turned out beautifully. This pic also shows how we attached our predator apron (side was done in this pic, but not yet the front - the apron does go all the way around the structure).

1700108356629.png

Your Dad is right - inside would look nicer, but it's not as safe for your chickens.

Solution: attach outside and put furring strips up. A little extra cost, but it does make it look nice.

Here's a pic of our build - the front corner has a furring strips installed on the side but not yet on the front. It turned out beautifully. This pic also shows how we attached our predator apron (side was done in this pic, but not yet the front - the apron does go all the way around the structure).

View attachment 3684753
Thats fixin' to make a real nice home for some chickens! Good luck, how many chickens live in there? 🐓❤️

I guess it depends on how your run is built and if you also have heavy wire on it.
Mine is made of 2x4 WW so I added the HC on the inside to prevent chicks run litter build up from escaping.

Staples: make sure you use pneumatically driven staples not arrow50 type staples.
It's a little late for me, but thank you for the advice with the staples. Are pneumatically driven ones with a compressor? I just know that my original stapler that was 50 years old was doing a fine job, until it broke midway through. I bought at least 8 different staplers, and the same amount of staples trying to get something similar to my old stapler. But I couldn't. Information of a brand would also help!! Thank you, aart!

Back
Top Bottom