Attaching hardware cloth to run. Inside or outside?

Inside? Outside?

• Inside

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Outside

Votes: 50 80.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters
My hubby was ok but not thrilled with my wanting to convert a good looking shed into a chicken fort/palace. He specifically said he “didn’t want it to look like the Clampetts live there”. So I took the time to space out my washers (to hold the hardware cloth down) evenly and it looks pretty nice. I also pre- stained the lumber to match the shed so it wouldn’t be noticeable. I think it looks nice (so do my chickens). There was also some mention of my “million dollar chicken house” but I pointed out that doing it right the first time ensures years of use and not having to fix things later (especially once it’s occupied). I did buy 1/4” hardware cloth and bury it plus extend it out. 2 years later I haven’t lost a chicken that was locked inside. View attachment 3679742
Another great idea that "hides" the look of the coop is to roll black paint on the hardware cloth ,makes it disappear....painted all the wood black as well ,really made a difference !!

I made the point of a predator will likely try to push in so stapled to the outside will be stronger.

Dad thinks stapled to the inside will look nicer.

I started pushing for stapled to the outside with the edges covered by furring strips. He wants to know why I'm spending so much money on chickens.
If your Dad is worried about looks, try laying a furring strip border around the outside, over the your hardware cloth. It will make it more expensive, but will give the run a more "finished" look. The bonus for you is that it will also fortify the wall to help keep predators out. Another trick to make the run look nicer is to roller-paint the outside of the wire black. It makes the wire virtually disappear!

Another great idea that "hides" the look of the coop is to roll black paint on the hardware cloth ,makes it disappear....painted all the wood black as well ,really made a difference !!
That's what I did as well. I put the hardware cloth on the outside, secured with screws and fender washers. I painted it all black, wood, wire and fender washers included. They blend in great, and it looks fine to me. OTOH, my small prefab that I started with, has the wire on the inside. It was secured with small staples, so I added fender washers to that too. Neither have been breached in 7 years. The biggest concern here is raccoons.

Ours is on the inside. Looks nicer and a stray 110 lb St Bernard was not able to break through.
IMG_0492.jpeg

i have a 90+lb dog that has a high prey drive. who flings himself at the run twice a day, like clockwork.
I had a german shepard egg thief. Got a fence shocker and rigged it to the nest box. One time it got him and he never went back!

Should be easy to hot wire the hardware cloth. About $30 for the cheap charger at Tractor Supply. Since you might only need it to work twice, save the baaox and return for a full refund!

We are just starting our run build. The question came up of attaching the hardware cloth to the lumber on the inside or the outside of the run. What did you do on your run if you built with lumber framing and stapled hardware cloth on?

And why did you pick one over the other?
All of my bird enclosures are constructed Hardware cloth and wiring in the outside. Easier to stretch for attachment and trimming and prevents my animals from getting caught on any loose/damaged areas along the wire. Might leave small scratches but it'll make you bleed like a stuck pig.

Back
Top Bottom