Attaching hardware cloth to run. Inside or outside?

Inside? Outside?

• Inside

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Outside

Votes: 50 80.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
We are just starting our run build. The question came up of attaching the hardware cloth to the lumber on the inside or the outside of the run. What did you do on your run if you built with lumber framing and stapled hardware cloth on?

And why did you pick one over the other?

I made the point of a predator will likely try to push in so stapled to the outside will be stronger.

Dad thinks stapled to the inside will look nicer.

I started pushing for stapled to the outside with the edges covered by furring strips. He wants to know why I'm spending so much money on chickens.

Outside because predators are more likely to push instead of pull to get in. Also this makes it easier in most set ups to angle the bottom out to form an apron around the entire perimeter, to prevent dig ins.

And you're spending money to protect the chickens so you don't spend money needing to buy new chickens and upgrade later.

I made the point of a predator will likely try to push in so stapled to the outside will be stronger.

Dad thinks stapled to the inside will look nicer.

I started pushing for stapled to the outside with the edges covered by furring strips. He wants to know why I'm spending so much money on chickens.
That's what I did. Stapled the hardware cloth on the outside of the studs, with furring strips stapled on IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0832.JPG IMG_0891.JPG IMG_0801.JPG .

I guess it depends on how your run is built and if you also have heavy wire on it.
Mine is made of 2x4 WW so I added the HC on the inside to prevent chicks run litter build up from escaping.

Staples: make sure you use pneumatically driven staples not arrow50 type staples.
Just 1/2” 19 gauge galvanized then PVC coated hardware cloth.

I think my dad is going to borrow a battery powered crown stapler from my brother to attach the wire.

We used t50 staples to temporarily attach to the coop the hardware cloth we buried between the coop and where the run will attach. They were definitely too weak to hold against anything.

We are just starting our run build. The question came up of attaching the hardware cloth to the lumber on the inside or the outside of the run. What did you do on your run if you built with lumber framing and stapled hardware cloth on?

And why did you pick one over the other?
Did my first coop on the inside. Had a hen rip 75% of her comb off. Second coop will be inside as well, but, we'll put trim over all the sharp edges. Aesthetically, inside looks nicer tho. Good luck! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom