What makes a good roost pole or poles?

WVjoe

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 27, 2012
I am planning on useing 2 " wooden dowel rods for my roosts, but i have seen several posts that say the best roost poles are made of matrials that are not round or smooth or slick like smoothly sanded store bought dowels. So i guess my question is, Are my 2" dowels a good roost pole matrial, or should i go with something els? maybe 2x4's or tree branches? thanks, im a newbie and i want to get it right the first time so im not freezing my u-know-whats of in the middle of january changeing roost poles with the chickens lauging at me
big_smile.png

i gave my birds a choice between 2x4s and natural thick branches. Everyone of my chickens prefer the natural wood. Bark and all. I took the 2x4s out and added more branches. I do think they need to be atleast 2 inches thick or more.

Don't use dowels. It's actually really difficult for hens to roost on something that's completely round, and you can cause foot problems. Dowels also don't let them tuck their feet up under their feathers very well in cold weather, and you can get frozen toes.

Try a piece of 2x2 or 2x4 dimensional lumber. Your hens will rest easier.

Last edited:
I don't clean mine. They get some poo on them, but it's not caked on and I don't see it as a problem. They will poo in their sleep. If you can, stagger your perches so that if you have a lower one, the hens aren't pooping on the ones below. You can also build your perch like an A-frame, which solves this problem. Mine is hinged at the top, so it folds up and gets out of the way for cleaning:

I don't clean mine. They get some poo on them, but it's not caked on and I don't see it as a problem. They will poo in their sleep. If you can, stagger your perches so that if you have a lower one, the hens aren't pooping on the ones below. You can also build your perch like an A-frame, which solves this problem. Mine is hinged at the top, so it folds up and gets out of the way for cleaning:

I was wondering the same thing and this looks great! The wooden branches sound great to!

Back
Top Bottom