What NOT to feed geese? (Food that isnt safe for them?)

Quote:
I disagree. I have had dogs barf up many items they ate too much of. Items like bones, grass and from time to time dog food. None of them have proved to be toxic or deadly to any of my pets. I have met folks that would argue about opinion vs facts, that is why I try to keep my statements based in fact and experience and represent it as such. If I have an opinion on a subject, I will certainly share it freely, but it will be shared as an opinion, not a fact.

To each his own on chocolate and dogs. But my vet said it is bad for them, period. While in there a woman said just what you did." I feed mine mine a candy bar sometimes and it doesnt hurt him" My vet said right back." Well, Poison in low doses doesnt kill an animal immediately.But you do what you want of course". Fact or opinion,that was enough for me. Sorry but I have to trust my veternarian on this.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd bet your Dr. would tell you that chocolate isn't good for you either. In fact, chocolate is toxic for people too. Theobromine poisoning can cause occasional serious side effects resulting from the consumption of large quantities, especially in the elderly. In extreme cases, emergency room treatment may be required. Now how many folks are going to stop eating chocolate because it might cause an ER visit?

From a reputable veternarian manuel: A typical 20 kg (44 lb) dog will normally experience intestinal distress after eating less than 240 g (8.5 oz) of dark chocolate, but won't necessarily experience bradycardia or tachyarrhythmia unless it eats at least half a kilogram (1.1 lb) of milk chocolate.

Theobromine poisoning is not a allergy. A body can only process so much Theobromine. Once you go over that, it starts to cause a toxic effect. My point is that too much chocolate could kill an elephant...but that is a big "to much". I have never suggested that anyone feed chocolate to anything. I just opined that some milk chocolate will not kill your dog.

Okay, but... back to geese.
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the note on the veggies to avoid! I'd even take advice from things that you've heard because I'd prefer not to take any chances on feeding the little guys something that may be safe for human consumption but not necessarily safe for them.

I've never heard of a goose getting sick from eating fresh fruit or vegetables. Foraging geese seem to naturally avoid what's poisonous.

I have several poisonous plants in my yard, and as it's surrounded by Ligustrum (privet, which is poisonous), there's not a whole lot I can do about it. None of my geese have ever shown symptoms of poisoning. One pair even took to chewing off privet twigs, but apparently they didn't eat them, just played with them. They've never touched the rhubarb plants, the conifers or the potato plants.

What's more likely to harm geese is feeding them rotting or moldy fruit and vegetables. Be sure to only feed them fresh greens, and remove the leftovers before they start decomposing. In the summer, cut grass will start decomposing within a few hours.

Also, geese thrive primarily on fresh grass. Anything else is a supplement or a compromise - and may harm them if it's a unilateral diet.

Fatty foods like nuts are not poisonous, but they should not have a whole lot of them. Just like us humans.

Usually, my geese will nibble new veggies, and there will be a prompt head shake and then they don't touch it. Onions have gotten out there sometimes if the kids have taken the compost bucket to the chickens by mistake . . . my geese do not approve of onions. They let them lie. And, if they have a lot of grass they don't usually eat much else. Even watermelon rinds - which they love in the summer. They love grass! I can pick grass in the field and bring it to them and they eat it like noodles. Don't know why the grass is always better OUTSIDE the fence, as I move them around often and we always have green grass here in the Northwest, but it is . . .

They like to chew on things like puppies . . . they did nibble down the small conifers and the side branches on my cedars and firs . . . I don't know if they were just playing with them, or if they actually swallowed the pieces, but it didn't hurt them. One of these days I'm going to plant a row of potatoes/corn and see if they chew/play with them, or leave them alone. After the firs, I tend not to trust them . . . but I have heard of geese being used to weed corn and potatoes, so maybe . . .

I miss their gosling stage though -- goslings eat SO much grass . . . they are having a tough time keeping ahead of the grass this spring as adults . . .

I tend to think like The Goose Girl. I have had several poisonous plants around my geese and ducks for that matter and they do seem to avoid them. My whole top of one pen with my Magellan geese gets covered with those red colored trumpet vines.That and wisteria.is all over here.

What is a normal goose diet?Can they eat whole corn like my ducks or is there special food I need to purchase.Right now I buy whole corn and scratch along with baby chicke/duck formula mash.Is there something I should watch for when feeding these?Will be getting my first geese soon is why I am asking :)

Back
Top Bottom