What not to feed layers...

Rosaleen

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Danville, Vermont
I have a neighbor who brings food scraps to my hens. I have told her the foods she could give them but often times she just throws all scraps into my yard. I would like to type up a list of the "no-no" foods. Suggestions please.....

In MODERATION, such as a neighbor throwing scraps to your chickens, there aren't any foods that are harmful. Yes, I know.....
roll.png
I said it. But it is true. And I have 15 LIVING, healthy chickens to prove it. So, get out there and thank your neighbor for reducing your feed bill and keeping your chickens happy
smile.png

Many foods are chicken-dependent ... some chickens love citrus and others just won't touch it. There aren't too many foods that are no-no's for health reasons. For example, no onions and peppers are generally advised because it could impact the taste of the eggs, not because of a health issue. My chickens have occasionally had both (cooked not raw) and we didn't notice anything.

That being said ... my friend gave her chickens avocado and one of her birds developed bad diarrhea. It took a while to clear up and it was a mess. I don't know if any of her other birds ate the avocado and didn't get sick or if that was the only one who ate it. In any case, I never give my chickens avocado. Others on this site may have a different experience.

If you are concerned, you might want to give her a list of what is okay. My neighbor occasionally takes care of my chickens when I travel and I have typed up instructions for her for letting them out, collecting eggs, locking them up, etc. Here's what I wrote for food: "You can bring them kitchen scraps – dairy, fruit/vegetables, meat, bread. (No avocado, onions, garlic, or peppers. They don’t like citrus or bananas)."

I actually don't know if they don't like citrus or bananas. I have never given them any. But since I haven't, I wouldn't want her to give them something that ends up having a bad reaction and then I'm not there to deal with it. Or, even if I was home, she would feel really bad about giving them something that made them sick so I just say not to do it.

Hope this helps ...
smile.png

The list is a guideline and much more of a help to the OP than "just let them eat anything." The things that are on that list do have the potential to harm chickens. I realize that there are likely to be lots of people out there that have fed all of these things to their chickens before and never noticed anything wrong. If one is concerned though, the list is there to err on the side of caution.

PS: The citrus is there, I think, because the seeds are harmful. I could be wrong!

Last edited:
I told my neighbor that the chickens were like pigs and would eat anything.... but I didnt think that she would give them corn husks, they won't eat them and then I have to clean them up.... oh well, she means well!!!

Back
Top Bottom