What on earth could do this?

I don't know the answers to a lot of these questions because the hen owner is a coworker of my husband - not a close friend that lives down the block. It does, indeed, look like she was sleeping in the nesting box (which mine have a tendency to do on occasion as well) and it does indeed look like the hinges lost the pins (not "ripped off" as is the claim) and it doesn't really look like there was a latch in any of the pictures (just a large piece of flagstone that could be rather easily pushed off) - but why WOULDN'T you have a latch, I wonder...

I guess that initially I just wanted to be sure that this kind of crazy, coop-ripping-apart predator doesn't live in MY neighborhood. (The pictures are taken from a home about 30-40 miles away, and closer to the mountains). I feel like we've gotten a little bit relaxed with our birds' security, and I really would hate to lose any/all of them!

So... we're in the process of fortifying the nesting box lid (it really is kinda flimsy... I couldn't rip it off, but I'm not sure a determined, hungry racoon mama couldn't) and getting a better latch. What we are doing now is working now... but no telling when that could change, I guess.

Thanks for all your input. I think the bobcat option is an interesting one, although I'm not sure it's reasonable given their location. They are convinced that it was a fox (or foxes). I'm still not convinced though. But I certainly do not have the experience in this area and nor do I want to get any first hand...

Thanks again!

I have that exact same coop, I bought it from the local farm store when I first started raising chickens about 3 years ago and it is very flimsy. The hinges on the nesting box lid were most likely not broken, the pins slide right out, all you have to do is push the lid from the left side (just like in the picture). The locking arm that holds the lid up is just stapled to the wood, it would not present much resistance if the lid was shoved off. Based on the damage and the fact that 3 chickens were snatched at one time leads me to believe it was racoons. I have never seen foxes travel in packs, they are typically solitary. Racoons on the other hand run in gangs and could kill several chickens at once. If it was a bear there would have been more damage I believe and again, it would be hard for a solitary bear to get 3 chickens at once. That print does not look like a 'coon though....

I have that exact same coop, I bought it from the local farm store when I first started raising chickens about 3 years ago and it is very flimsy. The hinges on the nesting box lid were most likely not broken, the pins slide right out, all you have to do is push the lid from the left side (just like in the picture). The locking arm that holds the lid up is just stapled to the wood, tit would not present much resistance if the lid was shoved off. Based on the damage and the fact that 3 chickens were snatched at one time leads me to believe it was racoons. I have never seen foxes travel in packs, they are typically solitary. Racoons on the other hand run in gangs and could kill several chickens at once. If it was a bear there would have been more damage I believe and again, it would be hard for a solitary bear to get 3 chickens at once. That print does not look like a 'coon though....
Ahhh, that is what I saw then.
Makes sense from a manufacturing standpoint but not is use.

Raccoon tracks are semi long with slender digits(almost finger like)not rounded...they look a lot different from the one you've posted. At first I thought the print looked like a canine track, but is it possible it could be feline? I don't know what area your friend is from, but I wonder if they have bobcats or lynx. I know that a bobcat could rip something apart like this and carry away it's prey...it happened here to a nearby rabbit hu
I agree KathieMc, that is not a raccoon foot print. This is a raccoon foot print:

Dog prints in soft earth will show distinct claw marks along with the pads. Big cat prints, cougar, bobcat, will show the pads without claws. Fox prints look like this:

Bear prints:

I have my run and coop hot wired. I'm not saying it's 100% break in proof, if something wants in bad enough and is big enough, it will get through your defenses no matter what you try to do to protect your flock. BUT, it will protect our flock from dogs, raccoons and other small preditors trying to dig under or climb the chain link fence. Also our chickens are locked up at night in the coop. My husband laughs and asks me what I'm trying to keep secure, chickens or a mass murderer, but so far so good.

I would set up a game camera to see who or what the guilty party is and then see to it that it is removed by means of a live trap.

So sorry for the loss. I don't know what is worse, loosing the birds or not knowing why and being afraid to replace them.

I'd agree with bobcat...its something in the cat family due to the shape and no evidence of claws and the 3 small marks towards the bottom would indicate cat family also (dog family has 2 lobes). Again need size (put quarter next to print) and depending on location could be lynx also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom