What predators can roosters actually kill/fend off?

Pics

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Looking at my rooster he's got to be over 10 pounds and his spurs are gnarly... it has got me wondering what kind of creatures a rooster can hold off. I would suspect a neighbor cat going for baby chicks would be in for a rude awakening if a rooster was there to protect them. The skunks around my area are all very small, I couldn't imagine them weighing more than 6 or 7 pounds. I would think the rooster could probably hold it's own against a skunk too. Raccoons are just so destructive I wouldn't hold out much hope for Mr. Rooster but who knows... anyone have any experiences with roosters fending off predators?

My huge Dark Brahma boy must have had a serious run in with a fox. 6 of my 12 hens were alive.My brave boy was seriously bitten and ripped, but there was fox fur on the ground and blood on his spurs and feathery legs.

Good news was, following about 20 stitches he made a slow recovery and went on to crow/tread/strut his stuff for another 2 years.

Looking at my rooster he's got to be over 10 pounds and his spurs are gnarly... it has got me wondering what kind of creatures a rooster can hold off. I would suspect a neighbor cat going for baby chicks would be in for a rude awakening if a rooster was there to protect them. The skunks around my area are all very small, I couldn't imagine them weighing more than 6 or 7 pounds. I would think the rooster could probably hold it's own against a skunk too. Raccoons are just so destructive I wouldn't hold out much hope for Mr. Rooster but who knows... anyone have any experiences with roosters fending off predators?
My EE rooster is a beautiful prick... He has defended his flock against hawks, coyotes, and racoons. Oh and occasionally a snake or 2. One time that really pops into my head... it was maybe 3pm and I was taking water to my coop. I open the run, to see my rooster laying into a racoon that got in with them. He had it cornered and the girls was inside. So I hurried up and ran back to the house to grab the 22. I come back maybe a minute (probably more like 30 seconds) later, he still was holding his own. So it gave me enough time to take the racoon down. Everyone was safe even my boy. He has ran down coyote that was chasing my red hen Goldie down, she got a little torn up that day but healed up fine. Me and him hate each other, but he does do a great job protecting his flock.

The lady I bought my Delaware and Wyandotts from had a big Delaware Rooster with half beak missing toe missing and limped, so I asked what happened, she told me he fought a fox and won. He was touch and go for two days but he pulled through so she said he earned his keep till he pass away. But chickens are like people I guess, some are warriors some are wimps.

my boyfriends rooster a few years back actually blinded a cat, and a year or so later he killed a fox that killed one of his girls. They said they found the fox in the field with its face mauled beyond recognition and the rooster's spurs were bloody. Down side is everyone was afraid of the roo, even my boyfriends dad would refuse to go in the coop when the rooster was in there.

My neighbors Barred Rock rooster has killed corn rats.

As for me, the only rooster I have here that kicks-butt is the one that figured out my Corgi dog, Cowboy, is just all bark. They actually "play" more than anything else. The rest of the roosters just run in the other direction. That little rooster, BeeBee, will even share his bread with Cowboy. Here's the two of them playing in the yard... BeeBee's expression says "BRING IT ON!"

Back
Top Bottom