What predators can roosters actually kill/fend off?

A rooster's nothing but a glorified chicken with a Kamakazi attitude and a couple of spurs. Just because a roosters willing to fight doesn't mean he's capable of winning .I'd like to have a dollar for every rooster that died just because he had the courage to fight.

Only predator that comes to mind that a rooster could kill/drive off would be a snake. Roosters can't really handle anything with teeth or claws, unless he got lucky and managed to get the predator in the eye or something.

I think it depends on the Rooster.
I had a Orp attack a hawk for flying over the flock and a neighbor’s cat for getting into the nesting boxes. I intervened both times though.

I had another Roo SLW that would sound the alarm and the run for cover without giving a rip about whether the hens followed him or not.

And my current rooster EE attacked a hawk that had one of the hens pinned. And he tore the hawk up pretty bad before I intervened.

Looking at my rooster he's got to be over 10 pounds and his spurs are gnarly... it has got me wondering what kind of creatures a rooster can hold off. I would suspect a neighbor cat going for baby chicks would be in for a rude awakening if a rooster was there to protect them. The skunks around my area are all very small, I couldn't imagine them weighing more than 6 or 7 pounds. I would think the rooster could probably hold it's own against a skunk too. Raccoons are just so destructive I wouldn't hold out much hope for Mr. Rooster but who knows... anyone have any experiences with roosters fending off predators?
My EE rooster is a beautiful prick... He has defended his flock against hawks, coyotes, and racoons. Oh and occasionally a snake or 2. One time that really pops into my head... it was maybe 3pm and I was taking water to my coop. I open the run, to see my rooster laying into a racoon that got in with them. He had it cornered and the girls was inside. So I hurried up and ran back to the house to grab the 22. I come back maybe a minute (probably more like 30 seconds) later, he still was holding his own. So it gave me enough time to take the racoon down. Everyone was safe even my boy. He has ran down coyote that was chasing my red hen Goldie down, she got a little torn up that day but healed up fine. Me and him hate each other, but he does do a great job protecting his flock.

My EE rooster is a beautiful prick... He has defended his flock against hawks, coyotes, and racoons. Oh and occasionally a snake or 2. One time that really pops into my head... it was maybe 3pm and I was taking water to my coop. I open the run, to see my rooster laying into a racoon that got in with them. He had it cornered and the girls was inside. So I hurried up and ran back to the house to grab the 22. I come back maybe a minute (probably more like 30 seconds) later, he still was holding his own. So it gave me enough time to take the racoon down. Everyone was safe even my boy. He has ran down coyote that was chasing my red hen Goldie down, she got a little torn up that day but healed up fine. Me and him hate each other, but he does do a great job protecting his flock.
Bravery does not equal might .He may put on a good show but no rooster can whip a coon or a coyote. Sooner or later he'll stand up to a hungry one and lose his life. My guess is he's not very old and his hormones are off the charts.Roosters are lucky to weighs 10 lbs .

Some males may fight and some will be killed by a predator. I had a GHO (owl) get into one of my coops. It did kill some of the females but my male must have fought it. When I discovered the scene my male and two females survived. They were bloody and totally freaked out. I moved them to another coop and pen and after a few days they calmed down.

Bravery does not equal might .He may put on a good show but no rooster can whip a coon or a coyote. Sooner or later he'll stand up to a hungry one and lose his life. My guess is he's not very old and his hormones are off the charts.Roosters are lucky to weighs 10 lbs .
He just hit 5 yrs old this pass spring. He IS slowing down. I free range alot. So I know, eventually he will meet his maker. But so far, he has held his own. If it wasn't for me being home all the time. That coyote who attack my red hen, would of probably killed them both. But he also hasn't been able to fend them all, we have lost our casualties to free ranging too.

That’s the kind of aggressive rooster I would think twice about keeping. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom