What predators can roosters actually kill/fend off?

Pics
Rest of roosters smartly ran for cover from roost. lol. the first redtail killed by them pure accident i think, as some cockrels were up high in trees and attacked as adult redtail swooped at sid tayler game cock/show rosecomb cockerel. the rose/tayler jumped up and hit the redtail in chest and wing so hard he got spurs stuck then redtail hit into fence and finally dislodged the cockerel. its was bleeding from eyes and mouth ect, and also bleeding from wound were got spurs stuck deep good in wing which wasn't working and chest pouring bllood. This cockrel by chance when junped on back of hawk flogging still as hawk tried to get away from cockerels attaking (adult cocks were locked inside fence still), and the rosecomb/sid tayler got hold of its eye and dug out that and brains and ate. rest of cockerels saw and. scuffled and more than few got at other socket ect (i hadn't had time to feed let alone let rest out yet that day). Rest must have taken notes, as after that that one was second top cock of walk and led attack always getting above trying to ground and get at eye socket to kill quick. it worked well, and when he had to be rehomed when moved, i got good home for him. cock fighter neighbors offered three hundred cash in hand. Said bird like that wouldve made thousands in pit/ring (though i couldn't have done that to him).

Last edited:
My muscovy ducks are, and pearl leghorns were pretty good smart fenders off of preds too, but scovys have longer necks and hissing seems to scare things back, as well as being able to see in dark so left out to forage for pest from gnats and mosquitoes, to mice, and grass and weeds. my male with female and even young, fended off a lesser weasel, and a great pyranees with a jack russel terrier for some time till my collie could get the pyranees between eyes and terrier by spine (weasel oddly was meaner and got away and hasn't came back yet that know of, as the ducks were after it wing beating biting at hissing and claw stomping). leghorn cock mix was smart enough also to get above BOPs and jump on backs.. he only killed few but downed and maimed many young that got tangled in weeds and fence, that i had to help or call rehabers/animal control. those cocks never made a dent in the BOP population, but the resident pair eventually taught young to not hunt there, and they'd just go over high or around after two or three seasons.

Only predator killed, by our first rooster (avatar), was a opossum no bigger than a good sized lab rat (~250 grams), that had the bad luck to still be out foraging just after sunrise. The roos have been most useful as ground pred. warning sirens. They have been consistent intimidators of less than mortal `threats' :rolleyes: They have been a useful adjunct to the turkey hens, that have served as outstanding aerial threat assessment/alarm (as well as serpent slayers - most of the time). That said, they `taste like chicken'. Here in the woods, the Roo's primary mission is calling in the artillery: The roos have assisted the hens in attacking/killing/eating snakes a foot, or less, in length. They have been panicked by big Northern Water Snakes that have, on occasion, attempted to ambush the flock as they forage by the pond. That squawking and milling about attracts the turkey hens (they've yet to get an NWS but not for lack of trying). Roo's `allies' in action: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/671185/turkey-hens-and-snakes-pic-heavy

I had a black jersey giant rooster, he fight fox twice and won. He would spurring anything that he feel threat to his hens, even he would spur me, dogs, my parents, and predators. I sold him a year or two ago, he was too mean! But he was amazing protector cock.

I had this silver sebright rooster, he attacked a raccoon and fisher cat inside the coop to protect the pair of nankin bantams.
When I open the coop for the chickens to come outside for the day, I saw those messy inside the coop and some of blood on his spur, no one was harm include my rooster.
I sold him too.

I have a golden sebright rooster, he scared the neighbor cat away, the cat was about to hunt a Dutch bantam pullets but the rooster was there with them and he walked to the cat, cat ran away like crazy. The roo turn around he saw a hawk or eagle flew down to the hens, he start to run as hell to flipping on them, he did it. The hawk or so flew away.
I still have him in the flock, I did thought about to sell him but I decided to keep him and named him "Derek".

I have ducks, why do ducks not have that protective and defensive personality like geese or roosters? Ducks just runaway and hope they're the fastest. Geese only defend themselves and their young. But I've heard about mean roosters all my life, so much that I think they fight for sport.

I've been attacked by a Mallard hen when I captured one of her babies. They can be very protective.

Roosters are just slightly larger CHICKENS, and don't fend off any determined predators any more than a mad hen could

So you're saying that testosterone has no bearing in the aggressive nature of a rooster vs. a hen? Do you feel that a bull is only slightly more aggressive than a cow because it weighs a little more? It's all about the biology.

Buford fought off a full-grwn Husky he did
old.gif

Love that look Buford has in his eye, "Are you a dog lover?".

Would a white Sussex rooster be able to fend off a stoat? There is a nest of them near me stealing eggs and I'm concerned. There are loads of rabbits all round tho so they may be ignoring the chickens

Back
Top Bottom