What price do you get for your eggs?

I hate the taste of store bought eggs.
sickbyc.gif
I have to deal with it until my supplier's chickens start laying again. I'm still working on my coop, so hope to have my own eggs next year!

I sell my eggs now for $2.50 a dozen. Walmart Brown eggs are up to $2.90 something. I was selling eggs at the Farmer's Market in the summer for $2.75 a dozen and sales were strong until another vendor showed up and sold eggs for $1.50. She was selling so cheap because she didn't have a regular market or customer base and had 70 layers.

I lowered my price right before the Farmer's Market closed for the season because my feed cost had dropped. My local feed mill has reduced their 50 lbs. bag of feed around $2 a bag since last year. A year ago I was paying $11.57 for a 50 lbs. bag and now I'm paying $9.54 a bag.

I sell my eggs now for $2.50 a dozen. Walmart Brown eggs are up to $2.90 something. I was selling eggs at the Farmer's Market in the summer for $2.75 a dozen and sales were strong until another vendor showed up and sold eggs for $1.50. She was selling so cheap because she didn't have a regular market or customer base and had 70 layers.

I lowered my price right before the Farmer's Market closed for the season because my feed cost had dropped. My local feed mill has reduced their 50 lbs. bag of feed around $2 a bag since last year. A year ago I was paying $11.57 for a 50 lbs. bag and now I'm paying $9.54 a bag.

Wow - I wish I could get your feed prices! Here on the VA-MD border, the cost of feed is $15-16.50/50 pounds.

Our feed price fluctuates between $9.75-$11 / 50 lb. bag, but we get it from an actual feedmill in the next county over. You might want to search for one nearby if you are getting your feed from some place like TSC or Southern States. It's usually $5-$6 cheaper a bag for us.

Our feed price fluctuates between $9.75-$11 / 50 lb. bag, but we get it from an actual feedmill in the next county over. You might want to search for one nearby if you are getting your feed from some place like TSC or Southern States. It's usually $5-$6 cheaper a bag for us.
Is this for a scratch mix of grain or crumbles/pellets?
Can you post a pic of the nutritional tag?

I'm new here, so I'll try to post a pic of the label later. In the meantime- it's a 20% protein layer pellet. They sell a 16% protein, but I've found that that doesn't do the trick for our BAs, BOs, and other chunky ladies
smile.png

We've been monitoring Craiglist for an old chest freezer and looking around for an old truck because if you buy it by the ton instead of the 50 lb. bags, it's even cheaper. We'd use the chest freezer to store it, otherwise we're afraid it would get moldy in our humid KY weather.

I sell here in N. Carolina for 2.50 for large browns. I don't have trouble selling green or blue eggs but folks do seem to prefer the blue ones. The one store I'm selling to this spring is still giving me 2.5 and selling them for 3 or 3.50. Mine are free range and only cooped at night or really bad weather. I don't feed certified organic but natural grain foods with no chemicals. I can't afford cert organic, who can? I just have trouble figuring out which lay the largest eggs..... Ha, ha... I hope that helps. Susie Q ([email protected]).

Wow, that's a good price.
I wish I had enough chickens to buy bulk.

From what I've read the red stars lay the largest eggs. I could be wrong, but all of my research seems to point to that.

They probably do lay big eggs. I have friends that love them. I've never had them. I think one would be hard pressed to find a chicken that consistently lays an egg as large as a Minorca. I crossed a White Minorca hen with a Penedesenca roo(penes lay huge eggs too) and the pullet laid monster eggs. The last 2 I got from her before I sold her were 82 and 94 grams. A jumbo is 71.

Black Minorcas are supposed to be bigger than Whites so possibly a correspondingly larger egg.

Last edited:
Why think of it as a hobby???the demand is high because you have a great product and charge to little.. $3.00 would be a minimum.. quote name="bstromgren" url="/t/839088/what-price-do-you-get-for-your-eggs#post_12388196"]We sell them for $2 and can't produce enough to cover the demand. We think of it as a hobby, not a business. It covers our feed costs, so our eggs are free.
[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom