What sewing machine should I get?

I grew up with Singers, and my MIL gifted me a Brother with all the extra "stuff" on it.
I have a miserable time every time I try to use it, the thread loads a different way, and I just can't seem to get used to it.
I guess It's the old dog/new tricks thing, but after learning on the Singer, I curse every time I bring out the Brother. JMO

itsy, what a wonderful gift!
clap.gif

I'll post how things work out, and please let us know how you like yours! It's been a long time since I used a machine, too.
big_smile.png

All my family sews an has had an assortment of machines over the years, but their's are machines that can handle way more than I'll ever need, some are for car & boat upholstery (and also totally out of my budget even if I did those things, lol).

One of the things that I really like about speckledhen's 6000i is that it has a walking foot.

Quote:
Oh no, what a bummer! Which model is it? I've read that some are a bear to thread. One of my DS's has a newer Singer and that thing's been in the shop more times than it's been used. I think some models of all brands may be lemons. Makes it so confusing to select one without reading reviews.

I forgot to say thank you for moving the thread to the right forum. I've only browsed this forum a few times and it never occurred to me that I had hobbies!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Topstitched both of these canvas coats a little over a year ago (December 2010):
hisnherscoats.jpg

The 8 layers part was topstitching over where the pocket flaps attach. I actually assembled the coats with the CS-770, and had the PRW on the other side of the table so I could topstitch after each seam.

Quote:
Topstitched both of these canvas coats a little over a year ago (December 2010):
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Y_6XTwJBqQY/TRoixYyn-KI/AAAAAAAAABU/k0T3UTm2H6Q/s1600/hisnherscoats.jpg
The 8 layers part was topstitching over where the pocket flaps attach. I actually assembled the coats with the CS-770, and had the PRW on the other side of the table so I could topstitch after each seam.

Beautiful work! And the models in the photo are lovely.

Thank you for the pic. That it can handle that is impressive. I was leaning towards this one but it's out of stock at walmart. Maybe I should wait a few days to see if it becomes available...even though the itch to stitch is trying to get me buy NOW. LOL

TY Dewey - that is me and my hubby. All he wanted for Christmas last year was a custom-made coat .... he even went into Hancock with me to pick out the fabrics and buttons for it! I have to admit I was pretty impressed my little WM machine handled all those layers going over the seams myself. Just keep in mind there is no way I would use the PRW to sew lightweight or delicate fabrics ... I used the CS-770 to make my silk charmeuse tunic top. I would also never use my Kenmore 1219 "anchor" for anything less than 8 oz denim either, although I did use it to sew a linen and buckram sunhat.

Quote:
Aww, you're welcome. You guys are beautiful, and that's so cool he picked out the fabrics!

I'm glad you mentioned again about the lighter fabrics, thank you, I meant to ask previously...do you think it'd work ok on standard 200 count cotton sheets and T-shirt material?

Quote:
Oh no, what a bummer! Which model is it? I've read that some are a bear to thread. One of my DS's has a newer Singer and that thing's been in the shop more times than it's been used. I think some models of all brands may be lemons. Makes it so confusing to select one without reading reviews.

XL 2021

Back
Top Bottom