What sewing machine should I get?

Quote:
Hmm ... I think 200-count cotton sheets would be the borderline. I can't comment on the t-shirt material, as knits and I don't seem (seam? LOL) to get along well, although I do have some red t-shirt knit to try again this spring. Although I will say poly fleece survives seamripping quite well ... my record is sewing the same seam four times, while ripping it out three times. I truly was running out of ways to sew it wrong!
gig.gif

My true loves when it comes to sewing are: corsets, coats, and costumes (for Ren Faire in particular), but I am trying to branch out into everyday garments as I have learned I am quite non-standard in shape and nothing in the stores has any hope of fitting me properly (FBA, sloped shoulders, tilted waist, pudgy abdomen, short waisted, etc ... the list keeps growing).

Quote:
Hmm ... I think 200-count cotton sheets would be the borderline. I can't comment on the t-shirt material, as knits and I don't seem (seam? LOL) to get along well, although I do have some red t-shirt knit to try again this spring. Although I will say poly fleece survives seamripping quite well ... my record is sewing the same seam four times, while ripping it out three times. I truly was running out of ways to sew it wrong!
gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
Ha, like so many of us!

Thanks so much. It would work for me as long as it can do sheet type fabric. I have some light material I would like to use for curtains and the fronts on throw pillows.

Quote:
Oh no, what a bummer! Which model is it? I've read that some are a bear to thread. One of my DS's has a newer Singer and that thing's been in the shop more times than it's been used. I think some models of all brands may be lemons. Makes it so confusing to select one without reading reviews.

XL 2021

Thank you!

We have made rag quilts, out of jeans and such, used it on flannel and all kinds of stuffing. They may not be super fast on layers, but they steady and go right on through.
Quote:
Thank you. So the machines handled layers ok? Most of the 3 layers will consist of a 1 fleece layer and 2 flannel layers.

Janome is my favorite brand. They also make most of the Kenmores. I used to have a Brother that I hated. The tension would never stay right. Some people have good luck with Brothers. I didn't.

hey i just bought a new one last june. it was a singer futura 400. it is an embroiery machine too. but they have good prices on all of their machines. go to sewing machines plus. good place to go to
thumbsup.gif

Update ~ Thank you, Everybody! I purchased the Brother 6000i at walmart last week (I was a little behind schedule, lol). It should arrive to my local store early next week, and I'm so excited!
wee.gif

This one, with free site to store shipping. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-Computerized-Sewing-Machine-CS6000I/4764726

eta....what finally swayed me more towards this one was the speed control and capability of also sewing more delicate fabrics. It was a hard decision!

Thanks again, so much!
bow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom