What size Coop for 10 birds?

Pmv17

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
What size of Coop should I have for 10-12 chickens (orpingtons, rhode islands, barred Rocks)? My run will be large (10x10) but they will not free range. Is 4x4 too small?

What size of Coop should I have for 10-12 chickens (orpingtons, rhode islands, barred Rocks)? My run will be large (10x10) but they will not free range. Is 4x4 too small?

Welcome!

Your estimation is much to small. Do a little digging around and you'll see average numbers in the 4 sq ft per bird range for the coop and 10 for the run. So for 12 chickens that would put you about 48sqft for the coop and 120sq ft for the run. 4 x 4 would only give you about 16sqft, or enough for about 4 chickens.

These estimates also don't include space for roosting, waterer and feeder, and nesting boxes. Good practice might be to include external nesting boxes to increase floor space in your coop.

Chickens need plenty of room in the coop to roost properly, without bothering each other. Too small of a coop will lead to fighting and potentially plucking, and, yes, that's too small. It's also better to give them as much room as you can in the run. The minimum size of the run is what works, not what's ideal. If you stick with the minimum-sized run, you'll want to include enrichment items, such as novel foods and plenty of things to jump on.

I agree with the above posts, BIGGER is better.

Also, since you are in New Mexico I would stress that you NOT build a box type coop.

You need ventilation and shade. So something more along the lines of this:
cedarpet-ranch2_1.jpg

Perches and nest boxes would be in the back more sheltered area.

Do make sure that wire walls are strong enough for large dogs to jump up on.

4 sq ft in coop, 10 sq ft in run MINIMUM per bird. In a hot climate like yours they probably won't be in the coop that much so you might be able to fudge a little there, but your run is already at a bare minimum, so I would not try to cut corners in both.

I really like the type of build Alaskan posted, I think it works great for hot or even mild climate areas and provides a ton of ventilation.

I actually live in a cooler environment then you think. 7k in elevation. At times we had 2 ft of snow on the ground this past winter. Summers are hot but rarely over 95 at the hottest. Thank you for all the info. I'll go for bigger.

I actually live in a cooler environment then you think. 7k in elevation. At times we had 2 ft of snow on the ground this past winter. Summers are hot but rarely over 95 at the hottest. Thank you for all the info. I'll go for bigger.
Good! I know it sounds like that's a lot, but the experiences of people who post on here at least a few times a week always back it up - if they don't have enough room they get cranky and trouble happens. Far better to go too big than to small! And that way, if chicken-math happens, you still may be able to fit in another hen!

Back
Top Bottom