What the heck? French Copper Maran?

texpainthorse

Chirping
5 Years
May 20, 2014
I raise French copper Marans. I've had them for almost 5 years now. They stay in a coop. 1 black copper Marans rooster 1 Blue Copper Marans rooster. 7 Blue Copper Marans hens. I hatch many many many chicks every year. I always get a good amount of black a good amount of blue and some splash. Last night this guy hatched. He appears to be an Ameraucana. I had Ameraucana at one time but my last one sold back in the beginning of March of this year. I have never ever missed my birds. I keep them separated so that I always have purebred Birds. I cannot explain this little guy. In the Hatcher there were all dark brown eggs. But somehow this guy hatched out of one of them. This is the first time in five years this has happened. It does have leg featherings like my Marans. It just appears to be a little chipmunk striped chick???

Last edited:
I think the mystery has been solved. I sent pics of my adults to a Marans "expert". Apparently, my Blue Copper Roo is split to Wheaten. She said the eyes were a give away. This little one is most likely a Wheaten Marans. My first in 5 yrs!

Do you have any pictures? (if you do they aren't loading for me whoops) But maybe if someone isn't escaping and having some "forbidden loving" then perhaps its just a different gene, or maybe its gonna feather out like a normal maran and if it has a big enough beard it'll just not grow??

No way in or out of our pens. We are so saturated with predators, we keep everyone in Fort Knox!

First of all ADORABLE! Second of all I don't see any cheeks which is good, It'll be interesting to see in a few weeks what it begins to feather out as, I dont know of any standard Marans colour with chipmunk, sorry I'm not much help but if what all your saying is true then its probably just a weirdo maran Lol

After thinking about him having such orange legs I got to thinking, I did put guineas in the coop a while back. They are out and free-roaming now but they were in there at one time. So now I'm wondering if it is half guinea!

Back
Top Bottom