what time of day do your chickens lay eggs

Pics

lorain's fids

Songster
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
New Jersey
I am curious as to what time of day do chickens lay their eggs. And once they do start laying is the time of day fairly consistent. My girls are 23 weeks this week, looking foward to my first egg.

We have two 20 week old hens, a RIR and an EE. Haven't checked the boxes in two days (about 52 hours) and look what I found today! FIVE eggs in two days! All in the same nesting box. Beautiful hard shells, bright orange yolks-- very small eggs. Wow were they good! Could a new laying hen lay more than an egg a day? Maybe I missed one!

Attachments

• IMG_3344.JPG
    IMG_3344.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 18
Mine start as early as 7am and I got my last eggs yesterday at 3pm. By the way.....I got 6 eggs yesterday, a record for my girls!!1

Hi, I was actually pondering the same question. I am new to chickens, I have two. I had my first egg almost a week ago now but nothing since, she laid it mid-afternoon. I understand that there can be a gap of a few days after the first egg so am eagerly anticipating another! I had assumed they would lay in the morning but I can see this isn't always the case!

We have two 20 week old hens, a RIR and an EE. Haven't checked the boxes in two days (about 52 hours) and look what I found today! FIVE eggs in two days! All in the same nesting box. Beautiful hard shells, bright orange yolks-- very small eggs. Wow were they good! Could a new laying hen lay more than an egg a day? Maybe I missed one!

Btw these are the FIRST eggs! I was like a kid at Christmas!

I think my chickens have an order they lay there egg. Moe usually starts in morning. They take turns in 2 nesting boxes, an are usually done by early afternoon.

I don't know why but mine are on an afternoon schedule............ sometime between 2-5pm.

I have four production birds who lay virtually the same time every day: 9 am. Then I have 3 EE's whose schedules change by several hours each day. They will lay around 8 am the first day, then 11 the next, then 2 the next and then they skip a day. The same is true of my Cuckoo Maran, though she usually lays for two days and then takes a day off.

Back
Top Bottom