What to do About Finicky Hen

Whatsgnu

Hatching
Feb 1, 2022
I am down now to one banty hen who is 9 years old. She has been a singleton for about two years and seems content. She always was a loner. For the past four or five months she had decided she will not eat layer feed. I’ve tried several brands. I’ve tried waiting her out and letting her not eat. There is nothing wrong with her physically. Well, until now. I figured she’s old she can eat what she wants so I have been feeding scraps, corn, oats and nuts and she’s done ok. But now, she has sour crop, maybe from her diet? And while I’m working on that, I need to know what can be done to entice her to eat chicken feed? Because this is ridiculous.

I am down now to one banty hen who is 9 years old. She has been a singleton for about two years and seems content. She always was a loner. For the past four or five months she had decided she will not eat layer feed. I’ve tried several brands. I’ve tried waiting her out and letting her not eat. There is nothing wrong with her physically. Well, until now. I figured she’s old she can eat what she wants so I have been feeding scraps, corn, oats and nuts and she’s done ok. But now, she has sour crop, maybe from her diet? And while I’m working on that, I need to know what can be done to entice her to eat chicken feed? Because this is ridiculous.
Post pictures of her please. Her diet is definitely not good at all. She needs to be on chicken feed, not a bird mix. You can try wetting the feed, some chickens like wet feed better. But definitely switch to a balanced diet ASAP. I recommend feeding her an All-Flock, flock raiser, or grower type feed. Provide oyster shells in a SEPARATE container where it can't get wet as well. Judging by her age, she probably won't be needing a ton of calcium.

It could be close to the end so she might not need be too hungry, or she knows if she doesn't eat her real feed, you'll give her tasty junk food. Do not feed her anything but the layer feed. Or try a higher protein feed, that might help.
Thanks. I was working on the assumption she was “aging out” but in every way she seems pretty fit other than the crop issue.I was considering trying chick feed to see if she’d eat it. Not feeding anything but feed resulted in her not eating at all. Because of her age, I didn’t want to go tooo long. She’s thin as it is. Was hoping y’all would have some secret eleven herbs and spices type recipe to put on the pellets to entice her 😄

Post pictures of her please. Her diet is definitely not good at all. She needs to be on chicken feed, not a bird mix. You can try wetting the feed, some chickens like wet feed better. But definitely switch to a balanced diet ASAP. I recommend feeding her an All-Flock, flock raiser, or grower type feed. Provide oyster shells in a SEPARATE container where it can't get wet as well. Judging by her age, she probably won't be needing a ton of calcium.
Right she needs to be on feed but I need some advice on how to make that more appealing to her.

Attachments

• 729C36E9-63B1-4935-B313-D0B780A10171.jpeg
    729C36E9-63B1-4935-B313-D0B780A10171.jpeg
    676.5 KB · Views: 4
If she doesn't like layer (pellets? crumble?) try a higher protein feed or a crumbled feed (if you were using pellets and she doesn't like pellets). Or try wetting or fermenting the feed to see if that makes it more appealing.

Don't be surprised if she holds out for the "feed" she's currently eating, which she's used to and is probably tastier to her.

Back
Top Bottom