What to do for eye infections in a rabbit?

BirdyMe

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
near St. Louis, Missouri
I just got two German Angora's from a friend last night. I've raised rabbits for 5 years, but I'm completely new to Angora's! I've spent all morning working to make them more comfortable outside, since they're used to living indoors.

I brought Remus (the male, albino) inside for a while because he looked cold. He's sleeping underneath the bird cage at the moment. x)

His eyes look pretty runny, and have some crustiness on the lids. They also look a little puffy. Looks like an eye infection to me....but what should I do for it? What kind of eye drops are safe for him?

I appreciate any advice! :) And any other angora advice in general!

Quote: It comes in a VERY small tube, and is expensive, but works well
The box is only about 3" long, which actually makes this picture "lifesize" (on my screen anyway)

I usually find it at TSC

Last edited:
Thanks for the picture! :) They didn't have it at the feed mill....I'll have to go look for it up at Dickey Bub or Orschlen. No TSC close to here. :/ I've been using Vetricyn in his eyes though and it does seem to be helping. Still....I'd like to have some of that Terramycin to keep on hand.

Thanks all! :)

If you can't find Terramycin, see if you can find (at a drug store) Boric Acid powder, and mix it with sterile water to make a weak eyewash solution.

You can search online to find the right mix.
You may even find it premixed at some stores

Some drugstores carry the Terramycin too, since it works on humans as well

Walgreen's is one that usually has it

Last edited:
Orshelens should have it, mine does, I used to use the 'eye puffer', look in the cow section, or ask someone. It is a powder in a bottle that you 'puf' into their eyes, we used to raise a lot of rabbits, and this would always clear it up.

My brother's rabbit had a goopy eye infection one summer. A rabbit breeder friend of ours said to bathe it in warm salt water several times a day. Worked great and cleared it all up!

Thanks so much for all the input everyone! Remus' eye infection is pretty much gone now, thankfully. I'm almost positive he's mostly blind in his left eye. :/

Love having these suggestions on hand! Thanks again all! :)

Back
Top Bottom