What to do, what to do.....

I know of multiple emu sanctuaries! Where I live in Alabama, it's very common for people to get pets on impulse that they don't really have the ability to care for, or to get "cool" pets and care for them poorly...emus, pit bulls, large snakes, exotic reptiles, big cats...you name it, I've seen it.

Law enforcement does a very poor job enforcing laws about animal keeping when there even are laws. A lot of cruelty is quite legal. For instance, a friend of mine has a neighbor who keeps a pit bull on a four foot logging chain with no shelter or regular supply of food or water, and it's totally legal. Not long ago I had a neighbor who kept a dog on a chain in a similar situation and I would bring it food and water. When I reported it to animal control and the police, they told me I needed to stop feeding and watering it because, in order for them to do anything, it needed to be nearly dead of starvation or dehydration in order for them to prove that it was mistreated. Seeing it scorching outside with its bones sticking out was not enough to prove that the owners were being cruel.
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

10 x 30 isn't bad for one emu
that is exercise space

how many have dogs in a 10x10 or 12x12 run in the backyards
race and show horses usually have very limited turnout all the time

I don't give emotions to animals the way people have emotions
I give instincts and sure this emu wants free open land and no human intervention like almost every animal on the planet

these people aren't doing anything wrong to this emu that zoos and other exhibits and animal career people like race horses and racing dogs etc are doing in this world so in general this one emu unless it is being neglected health wise etc. is common

is it right? that opens a big can of worms about containing animals all over the planet and in every situation

It strikes me to say that a background in formal logic is one of the most useful things that a person can acquire. As a discourse proceeds, you can track the logics and illogics and emotions and examples involved.

This discourse is a microcosmic representation of a macro-spectrum that has battery-cage hen raising at one pole, and the positions of animal liberationists at the other -- what FarmerChick astutely calls 'a can of worms.'

Anyone know Maslow's hierarchy? -- physiological needs (air, water, food), physical safety, love and affection, esteem, and self-actualisation.

'kay, I cheekily suggest – having noted both our common interest and the amicable tone of the thread – that we shift from the micro to the macro, which would give us a chance to determine some really clear and valuable positions, and have a lot of fun besides. Here goes:

Position One: as per Maslow, a discussion of 'cruelty' should begin with a consideration of the minima of air, food, and water.

Within a few days, we'll be pondering the intricacies of the realisation of esteem in ratites!

Supreme Emu

Last edited:
Whoa!! That was fast!! I was about to delete the post, and seek the advice of the moderators, to ask whether my post was inappropriately serious -- and if the moderator thinks so, I'll accept that decision with good grace.

Well, Kadiddle, I suggest that a chicken that has chickens is a self-actualised chicken!! That is, an animal realises itself through reproduction, and almost only through reproduction. Ergo, to prevent an animal reproducing is (perhaps) to prevent its self-actualisation.

People are a much more complex case. Wa ha ha . . .

Supreme Emu

Last edited:
It was your wisdom, Emu Hugger, that gave me the idea. I am sure enough that no one would argue that withholding FOOD from an animal wasn't cruel. Recall, though, that Yazzo expressed concern that the behaviour of the emu in question (raising and lowering its head as it walks) indicated stress.

If you re-read all the posts on this thread, you can see that a central issue (though not clearly expressed as such) is that what equals cruelty is what an animal does or not receive ('minima').

You and I both waded in (though – note to Yazzo -- my knowledge of emus is truly rudimentary) by assuming that the well-being of an animal extended BEYOND solely the provision of food – and, if you re-read Yazzo's original post, you'll see that this is the point upon which s/he sought our advice.

Well, let's leave it there; but have a quiet think about it for me (as you have real and actual experience): there is a list of things (beyond food) that an animal should receive in order that Your Average Person thinks that that animal is being well-(enough-)treated.

Supreme Emu

P.s.: Boy!! as you guys head into Winter, it's truly gorgeous here at the farmhouse. Yesterday, as I was typing, a young kangaroo stopped in front of the window. It was ten feet from the window, so twenty feet from my keyboard. The fruit trees are in blossom, and the birds (there is a tremendous variety of birdlife here) are practically rioting.

Quote:
Actually SE, withholding food is a much used behavioral modification tool (NILF or NILIF with dogs) used by animal behaviorists and trainers. I am not saying it's a good one(although it works hen done correctly), but it's typically not viewed as cruel.

Hi, Dingo!! I haven't seen a post from you in a while.

Yup. Quite right -- I expressed myself poorly. I meant actually outright negligently starvin' a critter.

SE

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom