What to do With Extra Roos

ToriMclgal

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2015
I'm thinking about hatching some Nankin and OEGB eggs, but I want to know what to do with my extra roosters. I already have one, and can only keep the Roos who get along with him. I am new to showing bantams, but I can't have fighting Roos, so what is best way to get rid of them? Where are the best places to sell them?

Actually, Old English Game Bantams and Nankins are some of the best breeds to have if you want to keep a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 rooster to hen ratio, at least that has been my experience. I even have crosses of those two breeds, and they get along way better than large fowl roosters, and even some other bantam breed roosters especially if they have been raised together. Those breeds seem to have a more tightly knit family flock than most other chickens, and roosters tend to respect each other and look out for each other instead of worrying about crowing battles and constantly fighting to be top rooster.
If you want to sell them, try looking into local 4-H groups and the show community.

Okay, thanks! I have noticed that my Nankin hen is easygoing. I guess the reason I'm worried is because I used to also have my current roosters half-brother with me until one morning they had gotten into a fight and my current roo was covered in blood. I gave the violent one to a friend who wanted a roo for her hens.

I don't know. I have only had my current birds for six months, and though I have grown up with chickens, I've never hatched eggs before. This year is gonna be more like a test run. I'll be very happy if it goes well, but I don't think I want to do too many eggs.

I don't know. I have only had my current birds for six months, and though I have grown up with chickens, I've never hatched eggs before. This year is gonna be more like a test run. I'll be very happy if it goes well, but I don't think I want to do too many eggs.
Well good luck! If you have any hens, I'd be happy to take one or two when they hatch

Back
Top Bottom