What to do with old hens?

Popsy

Songster
13 Years
Sep 13, 2010
Raymond, CA
We are (hopefully) moving within the next 6 months and I'm not sure what to do with my old hens. I plan to move the 3 young hens and Leroy the rooster. The old hens are 3 -4 years old and still lay the occasional egg. I had thought about putting an ad on craigslist to see if I could find them good homes. Any other suggestions? I prefer not to have to butcher them.

Put an add on BYC im sure someone would be happy to take them, if not is there a farm around you that might take some hens?

Matt

Go for the Craigslist ad. You said you don't want to butcher them, do you mind if someone else does? You could offer them as stewing hens.

I would keep em, but if you really can't, I think it would be a good idea to put them in the "Pets" category on Craigslist. I think a lot more people look at that category, and it might attract the kind of people you want the hens going to, especially if you ask a small 'adoption fee'.
smile.png

I foresee myself building another coop for the old and indigent. 'tain't no sense to it; it's just the way it is. Needless to say (so why am I saying it?), it doesn't make any sense; it's just the way it is.

Have no fear! Chicken (especially hens) are worth their weight in gold (especially on this website). Put the word out and someone will care for them for sure. If I had them that long I probably wouldn't eat them either. Lots of people (even city folk) will be willing to make pet out of a old hen.

Thanks everyone. I really prefer they not be butchered. Since I've put a light in their coop, the old girls are starting to lay pretty good again. Out of 15 hens I got 7 eggs yesterday.
smile.png
Depending on when our move takes place, I may try to bring them along, but if not, I'll put an ad on this forum. We already call this the geriatric farm since we have 5 horses that are over 25 years old.

Quote:
I am thinking the same thing Joe! I have named them for "petes sake" I can't kill them:th. What to do??????????? An old age home sounds nice to me.
gig.gif
Now to convince my hb that it is needed. He does not like that I have them anyway.
hide.gif
Just to figure out how to get it done. hummmmmm Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom