What to expect if broody hen gets a hatch

I myself would be worried about that height when it comes time for her to take the babies out. My highest broody box is about 18"ish above the litter and the hens do get the babies out of it alright. However, they cannot get back in and usually move to the lower box after coming out for the first time. If possible, I'd suggest moving her to a lower nest. If I have a broody who starts setting in an inconvenient place, I first block the box opening so she can't get back out. Then I carefully move her eggs into that box, and then move her onto them as calmly as I can manage. I only leave the block up until she calms down and realizes she's got all her eggs right there with her.

If the rooster is doing his job and you have a good roo/hen ratio, then you've got good odds they are fertile. No way to tell if any particular one is fertile except to let it incubate and see if it grows. Other than breaking it open that is. But then, of course, you can't unbreak it to incubate.
tongue.png
You could break open several other eggs that you aren't going to incubate and check for fertility. That would give you a better idea how good a job your rooster is doing.

If your hen turns out to be a good mama, then she will protect her babies from anyone and everyone. Woe to anything that even wants to get a closer look, including flock mates. If you have a good rooster, he should also help to keep a protective eye out for the babies. Mine always do.

Good look with your hatch! Keep us posted on how it goes.
thumbsup.gif

One chick today. Do they usually all hatch on the same day? Set up a separate pen for her within the hen house. She can get in and out and protect the chicks. Chicks will be able to get out but door is the only entry a full size bird can fit through. Should this be enough for her so she can protect them? Also, there is only one today. How long should I wait to see if there will be more? I don't want to disturb her nest if she's about to hatch more chicks any minute. When I'm sure all that will hatch have hatched, can I move her and the chicks or should I let her take the lead on that? Lots of questions, as you can see.

I myself would be worried about that height when it comes time for her to take the babies out. My highest broody box is about 18"ish above the litter and the hens do get the babies out of it alright. However, they cannot get back in and usually move to the lower box after coming out for the first time. If possible, I'd suggest moving her to a lower nest. If I have a broody who starts setting in an inconvenient place, I first block the box opening so she can't get back out. Then I carefully move her eggs into that box, and then move her onto them as calmly as I can manage. I only leave the block up until she calms down and realizes she's got all her eggs right there with her.

If the rooster is doing his job and you have a good roo/hen ratio, then you've got good odds they are fertile. No way to tell if any particular one is fertile except to let it incubate and see if it grows. Other than breaking it open that is. But then, of course, you can't unbreak it to incubate.
tongue.png
You could break open several other eggs that you aren't going to incubate and check for fertility. That would give you a better idea how good a job your rooster is doing.

If your hen turns out to be a good mama, then she will protect her babies from anyone and everyone. Woe to anything that even wants to get a closer look, including flock mates. If you have a good rooster, he should also help to keep a protective eye out for the babies. Mine always do.

Good look with your hatch! Keep us posted on how it goes.
thumbsup.gif

One chick hatched today. How long should I wait to see if there will be more? Can I move her nest at this point? Set up a pen within the hen house. Its a dog crate. She can protect chicks from the door. They will be able to get out, but no hens can get in. Is this good enough? I'd like to move her, the chick and the rest of the eggs. Anyone tried this?

One chick hatched today. How long should I wait to see if there will be more? Can I move her nest at this point? Set up a pen within the hen house. Its a dog crate. She can protect chicks from the door. They will be able to get out, but no hens can get in. Is this good enough? I'd like to move her, the chick and the rest of the eggs. Anyone tried this?
I would suggest you leave her where she is at till she leaves the nest. Protecting her and the chicks is good, but make sure the chicks can not get out the protected area either----if they can get out---in a day or two they might be 20 to 30ft away from her and she can not protect them if she is closed up.

I would also suggest that you do not lift or tilt her to see the eggs----by doing that you Can Mess up her Hatch-----just let her take care of things. If all the eggs were set the same day, they should hatch out within a day or so of each other. If eggs were added to her nest for days after she started setting-----then you got problems. I wish you the best on your hatch!!

I would give her 2 or 3 days to finish hatching. After that she will need to leave any remaining eggs behind to take care of her babies. I wouldn't move her yet if you don't have to. After she has hatched all that are going to hatch, you can move her and the babies if you like. Evening or night would be the best time to do that to cause the least stress to them.

Thanks. I really did have to move her. She seemed happy enough and settled right in as her chick burrowed right back underneath her. I was out there today. No more hatched and no sign if the chick from yesterday. Not sure what happened. I suppose it could be under her wing but I didn't want to mess with her too much.

If she isn't acting agitated or upset, then the baby is most likely hiding under her somewhere. They burrow into the fluff and can be very hard to find.

I hope so. Yesterday I could hear it. Today...quiet. Well not actually quiet, the coop-mates make a lot of noise. Maybe I just couldn't hear it. Mama hen seems happy and calm, except that she wishes I would stop pestering her :)

I would give her 2 or 3 days to finish hatching. After that she will need to leave any remaining eggs behind to take care of her babies. I wouldn't move her yet if you don't have to. After she has hatched all that are going to hatch, you can move her and the babies if you like. Evening or night would be the best time to do that to cause the least stress to them.

Today is day 3 since the first hatch. I can hear chirping. Sounds like more than one, but still can't see them. Mama appears to still be sitting. Guess I'll have to take those last eggs away. Really hate to do it, but don't want those hatchlings to suffer either.

I would suggest you leave her where she is at till she leaves the nest. Protecting her and the chicks is good, but make sure the chicks can not get out the protected area either----if they can get out---in a day or two they might be 20 to 30ft away from her and she can not protect them if she is closed up.

I would also suggest that you do not lift or tilt her to see the eggs----by doing that you Can Mess up her Hatch-----just let her take care of things. If all the eggs were set the same day, they should hatch out within a day or so of each other. If eggs were added to her nest for days after she started setting-----then you got problems. I wish you the best on your hatch!!

What kinds of problems? What can I do? I'm sure they were laid/set at different times.

Back
Top Bottom