What to Look for in a Broody Rooster

Two parent families are not always good. I have hens that sometimes combine parenting effort resulting in fewer chicks per broody hen reaching weaning age. Rooster as second parent does not cause such issues and may increase survival rates of chicks and certainly of juveniles, that is why behavior exists.

Such offspring generally enjoy higher social status when interacting with other members of harem and often with birds outside harem when father intervenes on their behalf. Father can make so his kids get access to best resources which bodes well for long-term quality of life. Rank in these birds appears to be passed down from parents (usually mother) like in monkeys with all kinds of long-term benefits coming from that.

Images taken this morning that are a little more informative.

First shows a single chick under Slugger's right wing.

Second shows vigilant posture both sexes adopt when brooding chicks. Notice how wings are held.\

It is interesting to note that when father wanders a bit from mother, a chick or two will follow him. The rooster does not produce a clucking sound but does produce an odd contact call that may serve the same purpose. The chicks following him so are inclined to make the "I am lost" chirp but it is not loud or consistent. The lower temperatures we have had over last couple days appear to be increasing the frequency of the outright brooding shown in previous posts.

First video showing father removing mealworms and putting them out for chicks to consume. Mother is present but all are presented to chicks. Action of interests starts about 1:30 minutes into video.

More on this coming.
I enjoyed the part where Slugger knocked the whole thing down! He is a good papa.

Images taken this morning that are a little more informative.

First shows a single chick under Slugger's right wing.

Second shows vigilant posture both sexes adopt when brooding chicks. Notice how wings are held.\
Those two are amazingly beautiful. What love too.

I have two hens, both currently broody, that are notorious for trying to knock cup from my hand. Both will fly more than 50 horizontally over tall fescue to land on me before attempting to mug me. One even flogs cup when it has lid on it in an effort to get at contents. At least one other hen knows how to tip over a 1/4 full 5-gallon feed bucket so her chicks can get into it. They appear to have some thinking abilities related to getting at known food items that need exploring.

I have two hens, both currently broody, that are notorious for trying to knock cup from my hand. Both will fly more than 50 horizontally over tall fescue to land on me before attempting to mug me. One even flogs cup when it has lid on it in an effort to get at contents. At least one other hen knows how to tip over a 1/4 full 5-gallon feed bucket so her chicks can get into it. They appear to have some thinking abilities related to getting at known food items that need exploring.
Wow your feed must be tasty!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It is a mix of intact grains and chick starter this time of year. Hens doing this eat very little, rather it is for their chicks which eat only the starter. They are motivated just like Slugger in the video you saw above. Remember SLugger did not eat any of the mealworms himself so long as chicks were around and hungry.

Changes are starting to occur. Slugger now crows within nest although is still well below the frequency of his brethren in the cockyard. Blanch (mother) is starting modify her clucking and she is becoming less defensive of her brood. Yesterday entire group approached my 11 month old daughter playing their water bowl and no body fluffed up despite potential threat daughter posed. I placed some mealworms up in an elevated location for Slugger to dispense. He consumed more than typical and those Blanch picked up she tended to consume as well. She is putting weight back on fast now getting ready for next brood. Chicks are heavy as bricks yet fly 30 feet just for fun. Chicks are also starting to replace chick (first) flight feather set and have body feathers coming in so will be able to resist low temperatures without brooding soon which means roosting up is just around the corner.

I caught a 46" speckled king snake yesterday while moving boards around. Dogs as usual wanted to kill and eat it which I prevented. When showing it to my son Slugger ran over and fluffed like a broody hen. He also wanted to do snake harm despite is being much to large for even him to eat.

Pictures this morning.

Family group coming back from foraging drive where stranded earthworms are the target.

Walking back towards house where dogs await. They will soon be loafing a protected yet sunlit location.

Chicks with long functional tails. Tails only seem to get long when natural foods dominate diet.

Speckled King Snake

Note damage to head. Many critters could have done that. They include chickens, crows, cats and even shrews.

Back
Top Bottom