Crowing
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Ohio
I've seen a lot of Christmas's cause I'm really old. Over the years I've
had some pretty nice gifts. But what one really sticks in your mind today
as the best one ever?

I had to of been six-seven years old, my parents bought the coolest
toy. Don't remember the real name of it....some kind of little car city.
About three foot square, it was a "city" for little cars like MatchBox.
But the city stood on legs and was up off of the ground. You "drove"
the cars around using a magnet-on-a-stick from under the city.

You drove your cars in and out of the buildings.

That and Lego blocks. The early Lego sets were just blocks...not like
today where you have only enough blocks to build certain things. My
set was just a few hundred blocks...red and white, you built whatever
you felt like building.

I would LOVE to find that little city again, and my legos I still have. And
still play with at times. I've added to the legos over the years. But I can tell
in an instant when I'm holding an old one.

Oh, and books...when I was a boy there was a set of six books, called the
"Brains Benton" series. Before she passed away, my sister bought me a
complete "old" set. I read them again, had a glass box made for them. And
of course, every boy wanted to be the Hardy Boys.

I remember my first bike with a bananna seat, three speed shifter handle and
hand brakes.

Hot Wheels gave way to electric race tracks and toy trains...

But the one I'll always remember is that little car city. I would love to find one
again.

But what's your favorite memory of the best gift ever? As a child or adult, doesn't
matter. Just share a Christmas memory with us.

My daughter came a month early right before Christmas. She was the best. When I was 6 my only present was my dads old hat with a tiny teacup teripoo pup. She was my best friend for many many years so she was the 2nd best present.

Probably the best was one year when I was about 6 and my sister and I each got the doll we wanted PLUS I got an orange kitten and my sister got a black one. She got the black one because she was evil. Merry Christmas!
smile.png

A bit odd, but the first thing that came to mind was my wedding ring!

I sure wish I still had my old Lincoln Logs, too!
big_smile.png

Two things come to mind. My oldest daughter was born on the 21st of Dec, and the year my husband surprised me with a spinning wheel I watched in the yarn store for a couple of years.

I got my first horse for Christmas when I was 8.... I was SO sad there were only clothes and school supplies under the tree. Then my dad "found" a card with my name on it. It was signed Santa and had a map in it. My dad said to get in the car and we would follow the map.... we drove maybe 20 minutes and then pulled into a farm to ask for directions... dad said to come with him.

As soon as we went into the barn, there was this beautiful mare with a red bow in her mane and dad said MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Still brings tears of joy to my eyes! Thanks Dad! (I miss you).
hugs.gif

Two gifts come to mind....

The first gift was the year I turned 12. We were raised dirt poor and gifts were usually things like fruit, candy or a small toy. That year I had helped around the house alot because my Grandma had gotten very ill. On Christmas morning when I got up there was a brand new $85.00 Marlin .22 rifle leaning up against my bedroom door. Even back then I couldn't imagine how Pa was able to afford it. I just stood there in shock! My Grandpa just looked at me and smiled and said a boy that worked as hard as I had that year didn't need to be huntin' with his Grand Daddy's wore out old rifle. I cried like a little baby. I kept that rifle up until about 11 years ago when we lost everything we owned when our house burned down.

Which brings me to the other gift that sticks in my mind. The year our house burned, we had nothing. And I mean nothing. I was working two jobs just trying to keep a roof over our heads, we had a 2 year old baby and my wife was 8 months pregnant and we were living in a two room cabin I had built to get us by until we could do better. We both kmew we couldn't exchange gifts, so I just cooked her a really nice meal and tried to take care of everything so she could just rest and enjoy the day. After we ate, she gave me a poem she had wrote on a piece of notebook paper. I still carry that darn poem in my billfold, it's been folded hundreds of times and gotten wet, so to be honest, it's very raggedy and hard to read, but I take it out and read it again at least every couple of months even after all these years.

Funny how the gifts I remember aren't the expensive or fancy ones... just the ones that came from the heart.

Happy Holidays everyone!

awww zippity, we got our DD a horse for her when she was 8 too. We had taken a picture of him with a red bow around his neck and wrapped it up and put it under the tree. The best gift Ive ever had Im still getting. Having all my loved ones still around for another Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom