What was your free mystery chick from Murray Mcmurray hatchery??

Pics

Been stalking this thread for a week! Finally got my babies. So what do y'all think about my Mystery Chick? Hoping to get another pic or 2 shortly...

Last edited:
I suppose that's true! I looked at pics and the blues seem to be lighter than the blacks as chicks. My chick is very dark. I'm at work now, but I'll take a pic of him when I get home and post it. (I'm assuming it's a roo.)

We received our order of chicks from MMH on 4/14 here in Victorville, CA..all 17 arrived alive and healthy. I ordered all pullets: 2 dark brahmas, 2 salmon faverolles, 2 silver spangled hamburgs, 2 golden campines, 2 golden polish, 2 mottled houdans, 2 dark Cornish, and 2 partridge cochins. Our free rare chick is a buff lace polish, really hoping its a hen as I have neighbors really close and don't need to rock the boat with a rooster. We lost a partridge cochin at about day 4 for reasons unknown...just found it dead....fine one hour, dead the next..weird. But other than that one loss, all have been growing like weeds, the hamburgs really took off growing as well as the Cornish. Its fun to watch how much they change in just a day...I very much highly recommend Murray McMurray Hatchery.

So I the last week I was thinking they just threw in an extra Cuckoo Marans for my free chick but I just noticed that one of them, who has much slower and a barely different feather growth, does not have a single comb. It's completely flat. Do you guys think it could be a Dominique?? Here are some pictures.

Notice the flat comb. My Marans have obvious single combs.

Noticing its feet seem to be turning yellow as well.

It's a little slighter build than my Marans too. It could just be a runt but the Marans pullets are supposed to be about a pound heavier. What do you all think?

Last edited:
So I the last week I was thinking they just threw in an extra Cuckoo Marans for my free chick but I just noticed that one of them, who has much slower and a barely different feather growth, does not have a single comb. It's completely flat. Do you guys think it could be a Dominique?? Here are some pictures.

Notice the flat comb. My Marans have obvious single combs.

Noticing its feet seem to be turning yellow as well.

It's a little slighter build than my Marans too. It could just be a runt but the Marans pullets are supposed to be about a pound heavier. What do you all think?
I think you're correct! Looks like a Dominique to me
smile.png

Do you know anything about them? Like how soon a rooster would start to show comb differences? I wouldn't mind it being a rooster as it's the second most tame one since it's had pastey but so has had a lot more handling by me. I also lost the extra rooster they put in so I don't have one for myself unless one turns up in the rest of the bunch.
I think you're correct! Looks like a Dominique to me :) .

Thx Doc! That's kinda what I was thinking based on the chick pics on their website. No feathers on his feet and definitely blue in color.

Back
Top Bottom