What was your free mystery chick from Murray Mcmurray hatchery??

Pics
My family ordered 1 Blue Andalusian cockerel and they gave us two of them. They are super cute as chicks and Strikingly handsome Roosters. I saw another one locally and it wasn't as nice looking; turn out that they were not from McMurray.

Ours were very friendly. They didn't like to be held much, but would stay with you most of the time that you are outside. They forage very well, but didn't mind eating feed. They love to roost in the trees for shaded naps. My dad would carry our roo on his shoulder. Ours led the chicken greeting committee when we had visitors. I had to cull one because use it did not like small kids. The other died before it left the brooder. I have never owned a female. My parents actually want a flock of them just to decorate their yards.

Others have told me that their Blue Andalusians do not like to be touched, are skiddish, and do not like to be around people. That was not the case with ours.

Do you know anything about them? Like how soon a rooster would start to show comb differences? I wouldn't mind it being a rooster as it's the second most tame one since it's had pastey but so has had a lot more handling by me. I also lost the extra rooster they put in so I don't have one for myself unless one turns up in the rest of the bunch.

I had a Dominique roo a couple years ago. He developed MUCH faster than the females and it was very obvious to us that he was a roo when he was just a few weeks old. His comb and wattles got bright red very early on. He started crowing at around 9-10 weeks. We live in a neighborhood so we gave him away. This time around we're going to try the No Crow Collar if our free mystery chick is a roo!
smile.png

I had a Dominique roo a couple years ago. He developed MUCH faster than the females and it was very obvious to us that he was a roo when he was just a few weeks old. His comb and wattles got bright red very early on. He started crowing at around 9-10 weeks. We live in a neighborhood so we gave him away. This time around we're going to try the No Crow Collar if our free mystery chick is a roo! :)   

Our's is probably a pullet then. Either that or slow growing male like the Australorp Roo we got from them. Well the one we have left. The other was a ftt. I would just think ours would have more feather development if it was a girl. Does seem to have gone through a growth spurt over night. Maybe it will catch up to the other girls. Who knows.

Any thoughts? I know a previous poster mentioned Whited Faced Black Spanish, Black Minorca, or Ancona. Comb is a pale yellow with bits of black. Feet/legs yellow with bits of black. I know this chick will be a rooster.

My mystery chick at about 3 weeks of age.

Mystery chick @ a few days old.

Honestly it doesn't look like any of my Anconas so maybe one of those other two. One of my Ancona chicks. You can see in these photos they have all yellow feet beaks and combs and the feathering is a bit dif.
Any thoughts? I know a previous poster mentioned Whited Faced Black Spanish, Black Minorca, or Ancona. Comb is a pale yellow with bits of black. Feet/legs yellow with bits of black. I know this chick will be a rooster. My mystery chick at about 3 weeks of age. Mystery chick @ a few days old.

Last edited:
Any thoughts? I know a previous poster mentioned Whited Faced Black Spanish, Black Minorca, or Ancona. Comb is a pale yellow with bits of black. Feet/legs yellow with bits of black. I know this chick will be a rooster.

My mystery chick at about 3 weeks of age.

Mystery chick @ a few days old.

If he continues to remain black without any white feathers then I'm going to say maybe he'll be a Black Giant. Black Giants are black and white when young and mine even had a white feather or two before she molted her teen feathers. Hatchery Quality giants don't always have proper leg, comb, or feather colors and they aren't as large as Show Quality either.

Back
Top Bottom