What will you pay for chicks?

MrSquirrel

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2021
I know it depends on breed and that type of thing, but what do you consider a good price for chicks? Straight run and pullets. I'm looking at ordering some online and I've never bought store chickens full price.

I know it depends on breed and that type of thing, but what do you consider a good price for chicks? Straight run and pullets. I'm looking at ordering some online and I've never bought store chickens full price.
Depends on the breed. I have a trio that was 79 bucks a chick at day old st run before shipping and vaccines were added (about another 60 total). Not what I ended up wanting, but I do still enjoy them and the cockerel and pullet I hatched from them are super pretty for my potluck flocks

Wow 79 dollars a chick! That's really helping me feel better about 12 a chick. I think I had already kinda calculated up what I was buying then my mom asked for some bantams and sticker shock.

I'm looking at ordering some online and I've never bought store chickens full price.
Remember that there will be a shipping fee. Some hatcheries will add on a "small order" fee if you order fewer than a certain number.

I ordered from Mt. Healthy last May. I paid the small order fee (not a small fee; IIRC, it was $30) because I was able to order the small number of chicks I wanted, and the breeds I wanted.

I only had one order and the cost was $5 something for female barred rocks.
Minimum order size was 12.
That is about what I would expect to pay for standard breeds.
For pullets near laying age, I would go up to $25 max.
Honestly chickens and eggs are extremity cheap when you consider what you get.

Right now I only have 5 laying hens but 3 more should start laying in about a month or two.
That will give me 8 eggs per day.
Those 8 eggs contain a ton of nutritional value.
However, if I start selling eggs, I would probably do it at $3.00 per dozen. Maybe $4.00.
That is an absolute bargain when you consider how much nutrition is in those eggs. They are absolutely loaded.

I do plan on adding a few more ladies to up the egg production. However, because I seem to be a rooster magnet when hatching or buying chicks, I will only buy pullets.
I basically want enough egg production to sell some and make the girls pay for their food.
LOL.

Back
Top Bottom