What would kill a goat this way?

Well- no personal experience here but we watched a Science show on a herd of cattle that were killed the exact same way. I do not remember where they were located (I think Texas?) but it was proven to be ...... bats!! If bats could do that to cattle, goats would be easy. I don't remember the type of bats (vampire bats come to mind but you all say they aren't in the US .. yet), I just know it was verified as bats.

I think they were just covering up an El Chupacabra attack!
big_smile.png

Folks,

It looks like the attack was in NW Ohio. It's fun to speculate and have fun but it isn't really helping. I really think we don't have enough information to make an educated guess. Really need to have size and depth of the holes, bite pattern, etc. Kind of a CSI type of thing. I think it's too late now though.

I would like to have a reference about the bats killing cattle in Texas. It is possible but not likely that a vampire bat could make it to extreme southern Texas.

Weasels are small.

NW Ohio is not in the reported range of fishers.

Check out this web site. Nature Serve is one of the best reference sites on the web.

http://www.natureserve.org/

I'm sorry I can't help any more besides rebutting suggestions and I've already done more than enought of that.

If you had done a necropsy, they probably wouldn't have been able to tell you more than, yes, it was an animal attack (if that)...they're not THAT good. When our chickens had ILT, we had a necropsy done and it took the State vets a while to figure out, at first they thought that was an animal attack of some kind, because the interior of the throat was torn up. Well, that's what ILT does, and they did, eventually, figure out what it was.

OH, there are no mountain lions in Ohio either and sorry, I just can't see bats. It would be interesting to see the goats because yeah, then you'd get a better idea. We are interested obviously, since we are in Ohio, too.

I would say probably a coyote or a pack of yotes.
Best way to find out is sit out there with a gun and a spot light.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom