What Would You Do?

Lunachick

Chicken Slave
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Brick, NJ
My DH is a CPA and a Certified Financial Planner, and has been for over 30 yrs. There is alot involved every year for education and testing so he is up do date on all matters of taxes and such.

My niece (age 31) is married to a NYC policeman and they have 2 children. She works for a big financial co in NY. And makes really good $$$.

My question: Last February she came to my DH for her taxes. She needed NY and NJ returns done. My DH did them for her at half cost.

She still has not paid us. I send her a bill every month for the past due amount. I just found out she just got a notice she is to receive $40,000. bonus and a $19,000. pay raise.

How come she can't pay a lousy 300 for the returns that were done last Feb? I don't mention anything to her mom (my sister) because it's not her problem. But, really? Should I just keep sending the bills? BTW they are booking trips to Hawaii ( wish I could go) and weekend trips all over the states. GRRR What would you guys do?

Bills are easy to ignore or go unopened. I would try a casual, non confrontational question over the phone or in person. "I've been sending bills, but I know how easily these things get overlooked, could you please let me know when you could pay for last years returns, we could really use the money?" and see what she says. You are right not to involve your sister. Your neice is an adult and it was a business transaction between your family and her. But I certainly would not be doing any further returns until she pays and even then, I would get the money up front. Good Luck. I hate sticky family situations.

Family is the worst when it comes to favors, because they think just because you are family, you will overlook their failure to keep their end of the bargain, or that you won't mind them taking their time to get around to it. I would place a personal note in the next invoice, kind but firm, letting her know that you have financial obligations too, and would like her to pay what she owes. I agree, don't involve your sister. She really has nothing to do with the situation.

Call her mother!!!
lol.png

I'd say one phone call, pretending she might not have gotten prior bills.

Then, even if she pays, never agree to do her taxes again. You don't want to go through this every year. Just say you've made a new policy not to do business with family. Don't mention she's the reason for the new policy.

Good luck!

let it go, it's not worth screwing up the family dynamic for $300. But, next year when she comes asking for hubby to do taxes again, make her pay for last time and this time UP FRONT.

I think at this point you write this off as a bad debt, and you no longer do business of any kind with her. I think you should also inform your neice that you intend to do so. Let her know that if it were anyone else you would have long since reported her to the credit agencies. Sorry that your dear neice is lower than whale poop.
wink.png

We were going to let it go, $300 won't break us. It's the point, doesn't she pay her utilities? Or cellphone? I'm sure that gets paid. Vacations get paid up front. This is a professional fee, DH got her a break on her taxes and saved her a bunch, shouldn't he at least get a note saying something like, Oh gee, we were busy and forgot etc etc.

I just find it annoying that people can be like that.

She's not paying because she's family and is pretty secure that you won't pursue it. I agree that the next time she wants them done....pay up front or find someone else to do them.. Just another case for not working for family or loaning them money!!

Back
Top Bottom