What's happening to our ducklings?

Go with something liquid, then, if she can swallow. She's able to drink?

In a perfect world, you could get her to a good duck vet. But I know most of us don't have that option. If you can, do.

But for now, there are things like Poultry Nutri Drench for calories and a few vitamins. But I would emphasize the Bs and maybe E. Maybe you could take some starter crumble and mix it up with a lot of water into a slurry, see if she could sip that.

I need to turn in, but I subscribed to this thread, so I plan to check email in the morning for notifications.

Hugs and prayers to you all.

Last edited:
Go with something liquid, then, if she can swallow.  She's able to drink? 

In a perfect world, you could get her to a good duck vet.  But I know most of us don't have that option.  If you can, do.

But for now, there are things like Poultry Nutri Drench for calories and a few vitamins.  But I would emphasize the Bs and maybe E.  Maybe you could take some starter crumble and mix it up with a lot of water into a slurry, see if she could sip that.

I need to turn in, but I subscribed to this thread, so I plan to check email in the morning for notifications.

Hugs and prayers to you all.

This helps so much!! Yes she is able to drink, I've been giving her parsley water which is supposed to be high in Vit. E so I will certainly try the others ASAP! Thank you for the help!! Remington (the sick baby) and her sibling Lucky both thank you!! I'll keep you guys updated and praying she will make it!!!

Last edited:
@heatherdv , sorry for your losses. For the mites you might want to use permethrin spray in the coop instead of powder, it'll penetrate the cracks better.

-Kathy

I have used diatomaceous earth in the cracks - remove bedding, sprinkle the DE (no ducks around to avoid lung issues, and carefully not to give myself lung issues), then I use one of those thin plastic things used for painting along the tops and bottoms of walls - it's like a wide spatula. I use that to spread the DE around, into cracks in the floor (there are few) but especially where the wall meets the floor - that's where I make sure to put plenty of DE as I have read mites hide there. Once, I made up some NEEM solution and after removing the bedding, sprayed the floor with NEEM. Let that dry, then replaced bedding.

I discovered mites in a spare bale of straw - so that made a quick exit.

Sorry to hear about your ducklings. Nothing sadder than to see the one who didn't make it and dies in the shell. :( But I wonder if your ducks have proper ventilation. My duck has had three broods, one in the chicken box and two in the duck house I made for them. She throws straw in and out as I assume she keeps the brood house just right. Once a year I douse the chickens with mite powder and spray it over the duck house as well. I also throw it over the dogs and cats. Forget expensive flea treatments. I even had a problem with fleas in my bed (!) and so just threw some powder on it and they went away. Tried not to breathe it in! Take care and better luck next time!x

@Dunkin
 , how is your duckling?

-Kathy

She has made an astonishing recovery so far!! Just two days ago it seemed like she had given up and now she is up and trying to walk!! She's still half the size of her sibling but is doing well!!!

I have no experience with crook neck. I would have suggested sav-a-chick also for a lethargic duckling.

@casportpony may have some ideas
I've seen true crook neck in chicken chicks and was able to treat them, but the few times I've seen it in ducklings it was due to an E.coli and pseudomonas infection of the yolk.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom