Whats the best chickens for eggs?

Oh my gosh! That is seriously scary. I lived in Arizona for a long time. Lightning season always set a mountain on fire, as did the fireworks on 4th of July- and watching it burn its way towards the house was never fun. Neither was the smoke. Stay safe!

I once lived at the canyon's bottom about 35 yrs ago but chose to locate further away and haven't regretted it. We were lucky this time that the smoke/fire got blown in the opposite direction and bless the aircraft and ground fighters to contain the fires. Two fires were going at once to merge into one big fire and aircraft were going all night overhead. I've been staying up all night because I can't rest easy until the fires are completely out. We got an extra influx of hummingbirds at the feeder - happens every time there's fires in the canyon. The temperature was bad enough for our little flock today and TG for little favours that the smoke at least was blowing away from us. TY for your well wishes!

For just a real good reliable backyard egg producing breed...it's hard to beat a small flock of Buff Orpingtons.

This is an image of my first backyard flock. These girls were so friendly and mild mannered. From this group of five birds, we averaged 25 to 30 eggs a week from early spring through late fall.

Molting occurred about mid November and brought things to a halt for a few weeks, then it picked right up again.

Last edited:
For just a real good reliable backyard egg producing breed...it's hard to beat a small flock of Buff Orpingtons.

This is an image of my first backyard flock. These girls were so friendly and mild mannered. From this group of five birds, we averaged 25 to 30 eggs a week from early spring through late fall.

Molting occurred about mid November and brought things to a halt for a few weeks, then it picked right up again.

If we had your heavier fluffy petticoat Buff Orps in our humid 100oF summers they'd be dropping over like flies in our hot yard. We have to have smaller less under-downed breeds in our climate! Our Ameraucana was not a heavy bird but she had a lot of thick under-down petticoat fluff and muffed face and she really suffered in our humid summers.

[COLOR=0000CD]If we had your heavier fluffy petticoat Buff Orps in our humid 100[SUP]o[/SUP]F summers they'd be dropping over like flies in our hot yard.  We have to have smaller less under-downed breeds in our climate!  Our Ameraucana was not a heavy bird but she had a lot of thick under-down petticoat fluff and muffed face and she really suffered in our humid summers.[/COLOR]

Wow I would love to see a summer that cool again. We have usually 120f to 140f for months over summer.
Surprisingly the RIR and silkies coped best last year. I have frizzles and frilkies now so I'll se how they go when summer comes back

Wow I would love to see a summer that cool again. We have usually 120f to 140f for months over summer.
Surprisingly the RIR and silkies coped best last year. I have frizzles and frilkies now so I'll se how they go when summer comes back

Our smaller breeds - Breda and Silkies - do best in our humid weather. Hot is one thing but added with humidity makes it seem much much worse. And the evenings stay in the 75 to 85oF range for days sometimes weeks at a time. Air conditioning makes no difference to us humans so I can't imagine what it's like for our feathered friends outside?! We keep water misters going and wet down patches of ground for them but it is so sad to see them barely foraging during the relentless summer. It didn't used to be this bad but the last 2-3 yrs have been horrible so I'm not getting any heavier breeds. A lot of people on the different BYC threads have been losing their bigger birds to heatstrokes lately - Calif, Ariz, Tex, etc. And in the Eastern section of the U.S. there are floods going on - crazy!

WHOA where do you live!?!?@

Our smaller breeds - Breda and Silkies - do best in our humid weather.  Hot is one thing but added with humidity makes it seem much much worse.  And the evenings stay in the 75 to 85[SUP]o[/SUP]F range for days sometimes weeks at a time.  Air conditioning makes no difference to us humans so I can't imagine what it's like for our feathered friends outside?!  We keep water misters going and wet down patches of ground for them but it is so sad to see them barely foraging during the relentless summer.  It didn't used to be this bad but the last 2-3 yrs have been horrible so I'm not getting any heavier breeds.  A lot of people on the different BYC threads have been losing their bigger birds to heatstrokes lately - Calif, Ariz, Tex, etc.  And in the Eastern section of the U.S. there are floods going on - crazy! 

I don't know about other states but Massachusetts is in a bit of a midl drought i think. We had one downpour of rain last week for a couple minutes but then it stopped and i dont think it even soaked in and was probably not quite as bad as that anyway. I think we have maybe had one or two othe rrainy days here or there but mostly its been 80s and 90s and no rain or only rain for a couple minutes. Right now is cool though. Had this stretch move in with cool nights and hot hot days the last few days

Back
Top Bottom