Whats the best chickens for eggs?

That seems a bit high for egg production. I believe I read that the hens are preprogramed with so many egg sacks that can mature to shelled eggs (whole eggs). Five years and I find very few laying more than a couple a week Yep they are getting old. I did try and had the rooster in pen to breed. Then I put eggs that were from younger laying hens , so she could sit on them. She is seven. It worked ...she had 11 out of 15 hatch. All about ready to lay and of 5 different breeds. A loy of fun

I bought two old Sex link hens (gold) from an egg farm (They were in wooden batteries) in Laos and I assumed they would stop laying because of the move; different feed etc. I was amazed that they laid the next day in the little bamboo cage they overnighted in. I then put them in the circular bamboo cage in the run so the other chickens could get a bit used to them. They continued to lay - lay 4 or 5 days and then take 1 day off and repeat. This continued for 3 more months and they finally started to molt and stopped production. They adapted immediately to life in the run when I released them after 3 or 4 days and did everything a normal hen would do. Dust bathing, eating greens, scratching for food, going up to a nest basket and getting down, cackling, etc etc. They were very dominant right from the start and the only thing they lacked was a mating response to the rooster. He did not let that stop him and after a while they got used to him. I really recommend these birds for eggs. They were very friendly too and followed me around in the run. They had a sharp eye for whatever I was carrying and would sometimes jump up and try to peck at the jar or dish.
Hens that are over 4 or 5 years of age may continue to lay some eggs, but they often have poor hatchability as their ova are too old. Roosters can also be too old to be fertile. If you are not going to dispose of less productive birds (oldies etc), then I suggest you get a bird that will lay fewer eggs per year, but for a longer lifetime.

Love that you rescued battery hens! It is impressive how fast most chickens adapt to new surroundings, even the ones that lived in a teeny cage their whole lives.

In answer to your question, I would say that the commercial " White Leghorn breed would be your best bet, although I prefer the Ancona breed of chicken as a one of the best layer's I have owned ever owned. The Ancona is of the Leghorn breed as well. My other choice would be the Jersey Giant's. They are good layers also. But what is most important is that you find a breed that suites your personal needs and birds that you'll be happy with. I have also raised Ancona's and they are a fun bird to raise and good layers as well and come in many colors and never breeds true to color so you have variety in color. Then you have to consider whether you want brown, white or green eggs as your choice as well. I might mention that the commercial Rhode Island red is a good choice for good layers as well. But in the end, you would want to buy birds that you'll be happy with. Enjoy.

In answer to your question, I would say that the commercial " White Leghorn breed would be your best bet, although I prefer the Ancona breed of chicken as a one of the best layer's I have owned ever owned. The Ancona is of the Leghorn breed as well. My other choice would be the Jersey Giant's. They are good layers also. But what is most important is that you find a breed that suites your personal needs and birds that you'll be happy with. I have also raised Ancona's and they are a fun bird to raise and good layers as well and come in many colors and never breeds true to color so you have variety in color. Then you have to consider whether you want brown, white or green eggs as your choice as well. I might mention that the commercial Rhode Island red is a good choice for good layers as well. But in the end, you would want to buy birds that you'll be happy with. Enjoy.

I would like to hear more about your Anconas...I've read about them. They have caught my interest a time or two.

I see your point on the Leghorns, very productive breed. But I like to interact with my flock, treats and such. The Leghorns that I've seen in other flocks are a bit ...flighty...difficult to interact with because of that behavior. And you are very correct, pick a breed that has personal appeal.

Currently starting a small flock of Welsummer pullets, so in a couple years...I'll be looking for another breed to explore.

I am partial to the Ancona breed of chicken, but must admit they are a bit flighty and are great foragers and have the habit of roaming far out if not contained in a pen. I can remember one of my hens going out as far as a quarter mile to my neighbors place to find bugs and such, then she would come back home and roost at night. You would want to contain them so they don't roam. I find my Black Jersey Giant's are a calm breed and a great layer and will produce great eggs for you. As I said before, I would find a breed that you like and give them a try. All the best to you in your quest.

I'm new to Rhode Island Red pullets but have always bought their lovely brown eggs at market here in Alabama. My remaining RIR, Jenny, puts 1-2 out per day and her late sister, Henny, started laying exactly @ 24wks and Jenny started laying a month later using a 1/2 scratch 1/2 laying pellet mix. I truly can taste the difference in RIR eggs and others. They are heavy, rich and filling!

Update to my original post.
Updated total # eggs, added "last 30 days" to give a better picture now that they are producing normally, and averaged the egg weight over 30 days to determine egg size (large being 2.0oz +).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom