What's the BEST Nest Box Material?

TheBantyCoop

Songster
Jun 9, 2015
The California Coast
I've had a lot of luck with aspen shavings in the past few months, but I would like to learn what other people use! I am particularly interested in using some herbs in my boxes, would this be beneficial to the birds?
Let me know :)

-El

Nest boxes
In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³ and the bag runs up the sides and the back a few inches). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new.

Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

Thats a cool idea :)
Thanks for the picture!

Thats cool! I do love my rosemary :)

If you love rosemary..,.I know someone who crushes rosemary in her hands and rubs the hens' legs to prevent mites. I adapted that into "rosemary hug." I crush rosemary in my hands and then pick each hen up and hug her and rub under her wings a bit. They are very patient with me....

:)

They are called pita pintas (they are a Spanish heritage breed), and they are the sweetest things ever. So calm and friendly and cheerful.

This is my Odile:

love.gif

So cute!!

If using leaves. ..are there any to stay away from, like as in toxic?

I don't know the answer to that question, but I might make another pitch for pine shavings rather than leaves -- I worry that leaves that one collects might still retain some moisture. That's just my preference, though -- if you have other reasons for wanting to use leaves I'm sure they would work fine.

leaf litter from under a tree.

wood chips are probably best for beavers and woodpeckers. Chickens are instinctively into leaf litter for some reason.

Leaf litter is also awesome in a brooder, especially a big event for the chicks when it is first put in. You'll never see the chicks so excited and busy,

leaf litter from under a tree.

wood chips are probably best for beavers and woodpeckers. Chickens are instinctively into leaf litter for some reason.

Leaf litter is also awesome in a brooder, especially a big event for the chicks when it is first put in. You'll never see the chicks so excited and busy,

Yup, sounds like it would be a great nest box material. Makes sense that it would feel more natural!

But I have pine trees...... (no leaves and very dirty, but I just started using the needles as a bedding on the coop floor :)

+Love your profile pic by the way! Reminds me of my lil' fro when she was little ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom