What's the one thing you wish you had included in your coop?

Pics
I actually far prefer dirt floors to concrete. Every coop I've been in with a dirt floor has smelled better than those with concrete. I've always wondered if it has to do with the microflora from the soil helping the ammonia to be neutralized. Of course, all the coops I've had experience with were infrequently shoveled out--I believe the term used here is "deep litter." But the dirt floor coops never smelled and the concrete ones did.
I agree! My run is a dirt floor, the coop is play sand, easy to scoop and keep clean and odor free.

My Spoiled Chickens requested a Karaoke Machine, Beer Meister and Gas BBQ Grill. I told them the Grill was out of the question as they are Irresponsible and would likely burn the coop to the ground! The rest is just too expensive. They settled for an Outdoor WiFi Stereo System that they could link their IPhones to and run their various Playlists on. I'm ok with the music as long as they keep it down...JJ
I need you to talk to my girls. They aren't buying it when I tell them all my money goes into feeding them.:barnie

Hi Peeps!
I'm planning a coop build and I'm hoping to take a few lessons from the BYC community before I start. So, please share one thing you wish you had included in your coop.
Thanking you! :)

My (our) coop is 1/2 slightly raised wood floor and 1/2 ground elevation dirt floor. The roost and nesting boxes are in the wood floor part and I have external access to both the roost and nesting boxes. Piped water and treadle feeder are in the dirt floor portion. The girls also have outside access to a large double run and sometimes get to be outside that also (Read almost free range). I wish, I wish I had put in a drain for the eaves which I could also access from the water area just in case. It would have been fairly easy at first. Not so much now.

Back
Top Bottom