Whats the weirdest thing your chickens have eaten or tried to eat??

My hen ate one of my round earrings and she was fine. They also eat the trees in their coop that are supposed to be poisonous, but they seem to like them and I see no ill effects other than those that the trees are experiencing. :p I just don't let them eat the berries,

They don't have points, but they are large enough that I'm worried for her, and for all I know they could have eaten other things, too. The people who owned the land before us were pigs and threw garbage all over the place. I thought we'd had gotten all of it up, but after a heavy rain, more turned up. They also eat plants that I know they shouldn't, but they don't seem to suffer any ill effects from eating them. There aren't any vets around here who treat chickens or any other kind of birds. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

Yeah my local vet doesnt do chickens either, I usually take them to Cupertino to the avian vet, which is a pretty good drive for me. And it can get pretty expensive but an avian vet is so much better. Chickens can be tricky. The last job I was on I was working in the field office as opposed to the construction site so I would bring my chicken to work with me and then jet up to the avian vet at lunch time. My female coworkers loved it but of course the guys would always ask if I had brought lunch, after which I promptly threatened to kill anyone within striking distance. There will be NO CHICKEN EATING on my watch. At least not MY chicken. Today I came home early to check on one of my girls that I was worried about and of course explaining the chicken drama to the guys and my boss went over like a lead balloon. Hey whats a mother to do?
My yard is like that too, I am always finding stuff, broken peices of glass etc. I'm constantly scanning the ground for stuff, its amazing it just continues to bubble up from nowhere. Of course the chickens are pretty good at digging up stuff too, like grass. I have NONE left. I wish they would eat the dang weeds. Whats your chickens name? I will pray for it! God has saved my chickens numerous times from all kinds of antics.

Mine eat almost anything out there yes styrofoam like candy but I smoke and I accidentally dropped a lit cigarette while working inside the coop and that butt started what I call a soccer game and I could not stop it also we have tree frogs and I have seen a tree frog used in the soccer game that frog soccer game went on for an hour! Oh and a baby squirrel that fell out of the nest. And a mole or two. And a snake once! Chickens are mean!!

I found one of my sex-link hens with a yellow piece of plastic in her throat, I had to pull it out of throat...dumb bird!

Dropped my necklace in the coop with a bunch of chicks, they ran after it and were fighting like crazy one almost swallowed it as soon as I grabbed it.

My hair

Speaking of yello Oh I forgot while setting up the warterer system ( I'm lazy) I had a Roo reach over and swallow one of the nipples that I was mounting in the pvc pipe never did find it and I watch him for weeks no issues but I never let them out the f my pocket anymore

I had a hen I was convinced had pica, if there was trash blown into the yard she was in heaven. Yup styrofoam was a fav, and she loved most of all the plastic markers that go into plants and flower pots. She knew if I saw her with them I was gonna snatch them away so she got super sneaky would try to hide with them hoping I wouldn't notice she was out of sight up to no good.

Wow I didnt know you could do that. My buff orp swallowed a screw, which Im pretty worried about. I tried to feel it to see if it was in her crop but I couldnt tell and I didnt want to push too hard as it was a wood screw about 3/4 of an inch long and POINTY. So far so good tho. She was sneezing a lot today tho. When chickens swallow something does it always go to the crop first???
Hey whats happened to your chicken who ate the screw.
My chick ate a pin.
I didnt know you could make them sick.
I would have made my chick puke all night if it meant the lin came out..

My americauna died from eating a roofing nail. She acted hunched up and sick for weeks, I treated the whole flock for cochi to no avail. Had to discard the eggs for weeks,ect,ect. I had no idea what did her in until a necropsy was done. Roofing nail imbedded in the gizzard- must have been there a very long time because it was cysted over and half way corroded to nothing...
Was it the nail corrosion that killed her
Or did the nail puncture something
Or did she not eat and did from starvation??

Please help my chick ate a pin

Back
Top Bottom