WHATS WRONG?! Lethargic, droopy wings and tail, not eating or laying (picture)

Thank you all for your condolences. I feel terrible. Today was a birthday party for my daughter and I was so busy with guests that I couldn't devote much time to her when she needed it... maybe it would have been too late anyway. Was hoping I could wait until tomorrow to take her for help, but now I have to deal with her body and I still haven't told my daughter yet. I don't know what to do.

I'm just not sure if there was an underlying problem for a long time... possibly related to her not laying eggs, but I have wrapped her body in many layers of plastic and put her in the fridge to examine later. I'm really surprised she passed so suddenly after only showing signs of being sick for one day. I mean, she was always happy and talkative, dust bathing and gobbling food and treats like crazy until yesterday.
I am sorry for you loss.
A hen that doesn't lay eggs = underlying problem.
It is not normal to not lay eggs...it's what hens do.

I am sorry for you loss.
A hen that doesn't lay eggs = underlying problem.
It is not normal to not lay eggs...it's what hens do.
I figured that might be the case. Just didn't know what to do.. or want to accept it. My other hen was laying so many eggs I thought maybe they may have just changed color over time.
Thank you, but I live in Oregon. I think my state lab is at OHSU in Corvallis. It's quite a distance -- many years ago I hauled my horse there for an emergency. They have the best vet facility in Oregon... though they still weren't able to save him.

I'm trying to find a closer place, preferably free. With having a busy daughter and summer classes I can't really afford (both time and cost) a road trip like before I had a family.

I figured that might be the case. Just didn't know what to do.. or want to accept it. My other hen was laying so many eggs I thought maybe they may have just changed color over time.

Thank you, but I live in Oregon. I think my state lab is at OHSU in Corvallis. It's quite a distance -- many years ago I hauled my horse there for an emergency. They have the best vet facility in Oregon... though they still weren't able to save him.

I'm trying to find a closer place, preferably free. With having a busy daughter and summer classes I can't really afford (both time and cost) a road trip like before I had a family.
:oops:
Necropsy and disease testing lab info

http://vetmed.oregonstate.edu/diagnostic
Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 12.27.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 12.28.32 PM.png

I have a hen exhibiting similar behavior. She’s too weak to even stand right now though drank a tiny bit yesterday and a tiny bit this morning. Hasn’t eaten anything since I found her acting weird yesterday morning. Hasn’t laid in a couple years, she’s 5 so we don’t hold it against her.

I had a hen that went through the same thing a few weeks ago. None of my other chickens got ill, so I have no idea what happened either. We took the body out back near the coyote den so she wouldn't go to waste. The coyotes don't come near the house, and the coop is very predator proofed, and the fields have plenty of pheasants, so I'm not worried about inviting them over for more chicken dinners!

I have a hen exhibiting similar behavior. She’s too weak to even stand right now though drank a tiny bit yesterday and a tiny bit this morning. Hasn’t eaten anything since I found her acting weird yesterday morning. Hasn’t laid in a couple years, she’s 5 so we don’t hold it against her.
If you want to save her, you could try giving her Nutridrench with an eye dropper. She may have sour or impacted crop. I went through that a couple of months ago. Found one just sitting with her eyes closed and not moving. By midnight she had begun to move. By morning she was roaming around with the flock, but I kept my eye on her and did crop massaging. Per casportpony, I weighed her, and also wormed her. It helped, but she had another issue as well. She is completely well now, and laying.

Back
Top Bottom