What's wrong with my hen and how do I cure her

They are new additions and I have had chickens for a little over a year but they have been with the rest of the flock for a little before thanksgiving and she is the only one who is acting like that and should I give all of my chickens the corid

Your older chickens are likely immune by now. These new ones you brought in are likely becoming exposed now. It doesn't matter that the others are fine. Coccidiosis does not hit all chickens at the same time. She is displaying signs, the ruffled feather look, not moving much, not interested in eating. It won't hurt your other chickens to have it, so I would put it in the water and treat for at least five days. Change the water daily with new medication. Afterward, put some vit/mineral supplement powder in their water for a few days. I would give them the vit/min supplement at least a few days a week in the future. It mixes in their water and you can usually find this type of powder in the chicken section at places like Tractor Supply.

I'm not saying it is what is wrong with her, but it is likely the first thing I would try given that they are new arrivals to your flock. If she was wormy, she would feel boney and I would think still may have an appetite, and if it was a bad worm load you sometimes can see them in the poop. It could very well be something else wrong with her, a viral or bacterial infection, but those are very hard to diagnose. I'd try the corid first and see if there are improvements after three days. Make sure she is drinking even if you have to dip her beak in the water to get her to drink.

The other chickens aren't really older the oldest hen I own Is about 8 months old and my rooster is over a year old. I will try to get those things and I will get some better wormer. Should I give them wormer and corid at the same time and could I mix them or set out two waterers.

The other chickens aren't really older the oldest hen I own Is about 8 months old and my rooster is over a year old. I will try to get those things and I will get some better wormer. Should I give them wormer and corid at the same time and could I mix them or set out two waterers.

No, don't mix or use at the same time. Wormer can be hard on a sick chicken. I would use the Corid first then after a round of vit/min and probiotics, you can worm if you didn't see improvement. It really doesn't matter too much how old the other chickens are. If they came from a different flock or different area, they bring with them their own version,so to speak, of coccidiosis. Something the other chickens may not have been exposed to yet. The older a chicken is, the better chance of fighting something like this off, but it does make them ill and in some cases, can kill them. It is a matter of the chicken not becoming overwhelmed by the protozoa before they have a chance to develop immunity to it. If they become overwhelmed they die. The medication reduces the number of protozoa in them and gives the chicken time to develop immunity to the parasite. Not all chickens are affected by this at the same time, but it shouldn't hurt the others. Just make sure you give them some vitamins after treatment, because their thiamine levels will be low.

Last edited:
Well I went to town and forgot to get the stuffing didn't even think about it until I got home and she is getting quite a few new feathers in and I heard that could be painful so could that be the cause of this cause if I even touch them she freaks out

Well I went to town and forgot to get the stuffing didn't even think about it until I got home and she is getting quite a few new feathers in and I heard that could be painful so could that be the cause of this cause if I even touch them she freaks out

Well, I've had chickens for years and I've never heard of it. Growing new feathers requires extra protein in the diet, so you would think the bird would want to be eating.

Because of how cold it is here and today she is not eating anything I don't no if she is going to make it I try force feeding her so food but she just refuces to eat and she is drinking I did not let any of my chickens out of the coop today because of how cold it is and she feels really light like she has ate any thing for a long time like she is skin and bones she seriously only feels like she weighs one pound

Is there any house hold items I could try giving her to at least make her feel a little bit better

Sorry. I think we have given you all the medications/suggestions we can think of. If she is drinking, medicine in the water would be the way to go. You can't force feed a sick bird unless you do it with a crop tube (which you likely don't have) which you can get in town at a pet supply store (aquarium tubing), but without trying the medication, what good are you doing? She is likely suffering from some disease or even worms that is causing intestinal distress and weight loss. It's likely one or the other.

Ok thanks I have force fed her today till her crop was full because it was probably 1 or 2 o'clock and she only had a few layer pellets in her crop so do u maybe know a specific kind of worm or something to her symptoms not eating I haven't seen her drinking so I have been giving her water and just seems to slowly walk and she does run some and holds her head back to her body

Back
Top Bottom