What's wrong with my hen and how do I cure her

Ok thanks I have force fed her today till her crop was full because it was probably 1 or 2 o'clock and she only had a few layer pellets in her crop so do u maybe know a specific kind of worm or something to her symptoms not eating I haven't seen her drinking so I have been giving her water and just seems to slowly walk and she does run some and holds her head back to her body

If your bird is dehydrated, it is not a good idea to force feed the bird. The bird needs to be hydrated well before feeding. Food requires water to digest. So make sure you give her plenty of water (at least 4 ounces) if she isn't drinking at all. If you don't have vit/electrolytes to put in her water, try some gatorade. Many here say you can give your bird gatorade or pedialyte.

No, I don't know what worm would cause her symptoms. A good overall wormer that was suggested earlier in the thread would be good. But, If it was me, I would first treat with the Corid, then put her on a good vit/mineral supplement in the water, or give her some doses of Poultry Cell (found at Tractor Supply) for just a few days, and try to get her feeling a bit better before trying to worm her. But, if you feel she is near the end, go ahead and worm her first if you feel this is the real issue. Just keep in mind worming can be hard on an ill animal. I think Safegard wormer would be your best choice. Many use the kind made for goats. You can find dosing instructions for chickens on this forum if you do a search for Safeguard.

She is not drinking it her self but I have been force feeding and drinking though to me she looks a bit better and I will try to go and get some corid and vit/mineral supplement and or poultry cell thanks for the help I will keep u updated :fl hope she gets better

I got the corid they did not have it in a liquid so I got it in a powder and they did not have the vitamin mineral supplement

Well, I don't know the dosing or mixing instructions for the powder corid for chickens, but you might be able to search it here in the forum with the search function and find that out.

I think some type of vitamin/mineral supplement would be very helpful to her, especially a bird that hasn't been eating. It also helps the rest of your flock stay healthy. Sometimes if you don't see anything in the chicken section, they do have packets in the cattle section, they usually are yellow foil like packets. I always see them in farm stores or Tractor supply. I know Tractor supply carries the stuff.for chickens. Well, if you get her interested in eating I would suggest some finely chopped boiled egg to get her strength up and maybe some plain oatmeal right out of the box. You might try substituting some gatorade for her water for a day and see if that helps perk her up.

I have been giving it to her but she don't seem to be doing much better other than moving around a bit more

Do at least the 5 day treatment. Then give her some vitamin/mineral supplement in her water for a few days. Try to feed her stuff you know she will eat, eggs, cooked rice, etc. Then try the wormer. If that doesn't help her she may be suffering from something more sinister, like a viral or bacterial infection or worse.

Back
Top Bottom