whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

Quote:
Get right on the vit B therapy. I waited 2 weeks without knowing about it so I wouldnt necessarily say "time is of the essence" just that from what I hear, the sooner you get on it the quicker will be the recovery. Do work her legs to keep them flexible. She sounds like she will enjoy the attention from you. Oh by the way, I also spread and worked his wings. I preened his feathers as he could not really do that effectively either.

Quote:
Regarding the pictures, thank you. They are thick as thieves. That is the major reason I could not let Baby die or cull him. I knew if I did give up on him that Little Friend would be lost with Baby. They are the only survivors of a clutch of 9 eggs. They only have each other to pal around with. What is amazing is that they are still pals after so long. They do not fight beyond a little very light sparing. They actually settled the fact that Baby is top of the pecking order soon after his recovery. Now they just spend the day looking for food and laying together in the shade.

I had never thought of chickens as being "sweet", and sweet to each other. But I see it all the time with mine (as well as some fights between roosters that leaves a little blood....seldom, but it has happened). I'm always amazed at how the roosters will take food from my hand and put it down for the girls to have.

Quote:
Isnt that something...even the most tasty treats the roos will make sure the hens and babies get their fill before eating any themselves. Chickens are amazing creatures. I have heard others call chickens ruthless as they will make it very hard on the weak and hurt in the flock. I guess that is just part of nature...making sure the food is there for the strong and most likely to survive to reproduce. With Baby and Little Friend, I saw quite a different side to how chickens can treat each other. Little Friend was very nurturing toward Baby. He really missed Baby when I would take him into my lap for feeding or therapy or a quick bathing. When they lay together it is always so close...making sure they are touching in some fashion, tails, heads, wings, something has to be in contact as if to make sure of the other one's continuous presence.

Isnt that something...even the most tasty treats the roos will make sure the hens and babies get their fill before eating any themselves. Chickens are amazing creatures. I have heard others call chickens ruthless as they will make it very hard on the weak and hurt in the flock. I guess that is just part of nature...making sure the food is there for the strong and most likely to survive to reproduce. With Baby and Little Friend, I saw quite a different side to how chickens can treat each other. Little Friend was very nurturing toward Baby. He really missed Baby when I would take him into my lap for feeding or therapy or a quick bathing. When they lay together it is always so close...making sure they are touching in some fashion, tails, heads, wings, something has to be in contact as if to make sure of the other one's continuous presence.

Agreed ↑↑

I have the hen with another hen that got hurt by a raccoon a few weeks ago as I mentioned in one of my first posts on this thread. They are both doing well together and protect eachother. If something happens to one of them, the other will be devastated. Although the one that got injured by the coon is about ready to be with the other chickens now, I think I'm going to keep her with the hurt hen for company. It always amazes me how they bond.​

Hi there everyone! I am super new at actually posting on here. I have read tons and tons of stuff on here but that's about it.
Anyhoooo, I am dealing with the exact same symptoms in my 3 week old bantam. I have done soooo much research the past 2 days that my eyes are crossing. However, I am so relieved to have found this thread. I am going to start this B vit treatment and pray for the best. Mine has been like this for the last 2 days. I have been worried sick about it. We have all become attached to it. I look forward to hearing if the vitamin thing works for anyone else. I have had a feeling from the beginning that it was some neurological thing. Like it's in it's nerves. I have brought it to a few places to have it looked at and they are all stumped. They all say, "s/he looks so healthy otherwise!"

I'm prayin for all these poor chickens.

I just realized that this thread is from last year. I am truly hoping that you guys will still respond to this thread. I could use the support seeing as I am not finding anyone that can identify the problem. Morning can't come soon enough, I really want to go pick up this vitamin B and get this little friend of mine back up and moving. It was the runt of the group and has had to live in the house with us. So the dog has even attached itself to "Runt". We spend a lot of time together and we even assigned a little teddy bear to keep him company. It will sleep right on or next to it. You all have know idea how much hope this has given me and I'm so glad that I didn't give up on it like everyone has told me to. I would have felt horrible if I had my hubby get rid of it due to the fear of it suffering. I want to do everything in my power to nurse it back to health.
Being super new to chickens and even newer to problems with chickens I have been terrified about this problem.

~Sara

Pip&Squeek2 :

I just realized that this thread is from last year. I am truly hoping that you guys will still respond to this thread. I could use the support seeing as I am not finding anyone that can identify the problem. .

~Sara

This thread is current and ongoing.
smile.png
So don't worry, you will see people responding.
smile.png

Okay, We're all set here to begin the intensive multi-B therapy.

We've got my Super Complex Multi B formula. We got it last night. I also picked up some Poly Vi Sol type bird vitamins to put in her water.

For the record in case folks "search" symptoms in this forum Pumpkin is the one with the issue.

Pumpkin is a 4 month old Black Australorp. She, along with all our other girls (18 total, bought last year and this year) come from the Agway and we have never had a problem with them.

Their accomodations are clean and luxurious - large Amish built coop with great ventilation with shavings. They have a 60'x60' fully enclosed pen attached to coop. Part dirt, part bedding straw.

The "big girls" are on layer pellets and the "little girls" (including Pumpkin) are on medicated chick starter. As can happen, the big girls will really go for the chick starter and gobble it up.

They free-range most days - but only under supervision due to hawks, cats, and dogs. Usually several hours while I'm out in my gardens.

Fresh water daily and waterers are cleaned 2x a week. Coop is poopy-scooped like a litter box nearly daily. Shavings changed 1x during wet weather and every 2 weeks during dry weather. Bedding straw is raked out every couple of months for the gardens and fresh straw reapplied to the run.

Daily treats of fresh veggies from the garden. Once a week they get organic Greek yogurt. Usually on a Wednesday. On Sundays ("French Toast day") they get the leftover French toast and scrambled eggs.

The flock was wormed about 1 1/2 months ago using Wazine followed by Ivermectin because 2 of the big girls started to act poorly and then showed some very young long skinny worms in their poop. The Ivermectin was not used on the little girls - they seemed so small and they never showed worms.

Pumpkin seems healthy in every respect other than this falling over business. This started very suddenly about 3 weeks ago.
It seemed mild and I thought she perhaps strained a muscle or something. I did check her over to see if I felt anything broken or if anything seemed sensitive or painful to her. Nothing that I could tell.
It seems "worse" now, meaning that she stumbles and falls over more.
She can still walk, although she stumbles, can fall over at times on her side and if she tries to stand up straight and tall she can also teeter backwards. She uses her wings to try to steady herself. At times her behavior is exactly as is seen in chickenlvr's video.
She does curl her toes around my finger - but perhaps not with the same strength as before.

She is eating and drinking. Her poop is perfectly normal.
She is bright and sociable and likes to play and explore.

Her skin looks good. We don't see any wee beasties on legs or body.

No one else in the flock is displaying symptoms of any kind. Which makes me believe that this is not infectious like Mareks because I would think it would be whipping through the flock.

She is now in her a large cage with her best buddy Anastasia (EE) on our enclosed porch. They both go for supervised walks in the gardens together for fresh air, change of scenery, etc. Also, it helps us to monitor Pumpkin's situation better because despite all the shavings she has not ever been confident anyway on regular flooring and doesn't like to walk on it. She walks around much more when outside.

I've got the Poly Vi Sol in the water and have this morning I have started scheduled feedings with one crushed super multi-B in her chick starter. She has gobbled it down. Afte she finishes her chick starter she is given some scrambled egg - which she loves. I'll also put out some yogurt later.

Anymore more suggestions Lobzi?

Thanks,

Pam

P.S. I also picked up some Vitamin E and some St. John's Wort (some people believe this is a natural remedy for Mareks) to have on hand "just in case".

Should I put more than 1 pill in the food.

Back
Top Bottom