whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Polyneuritis)

Peripheral neuropathy is the term for damage to nerves of the peripheral nervous system,[1] which may be caused either by diseases of the nerve or from the side-effects of systemic illness.

The four cardinal patterns of peripheral neuropathy are polyneuropathy, mononeuropathy, mononeuritis multiplex and autonomic neuropathy. The most common form is (symmetrical) peripheral polyneuropathy, which mainly affects the feet and legs. The form of neuropathy may be further broken down by cause, or the size of predominant fiber involvement, i.e., large fiber or small fiber peripheral neuropathy. Frequently the cause of a neuropathy cannot be identified and it is designated idiopathic.

Neuropathy may be associated with varying combinations of weakness, autonomic changes, and sensory changes. Loss of muscle bulk or fasciculations, a particular fine twitching of muscle, may be seen. Sensory symptoms encompass loss of sensation and "positive" phenomena including pain. Symptoms depend on the type of nerves affected (motor, sensory, or autonomic) and where the nerves are located in the body. One or more types of nerves may be affected. Common symptoms associated with damage to the motor nerve are muscle weakness, cramps, and spasms. Loss of balance and coordination may also occur. Damage to the sensory nerve can produce tingling, numbness, and pain. Pain associated with this nerve is described in various ways such as the following: sensation of wearing an invisible "glove" or "sock", burning, freezing, or electric-like, extreme sensitivity to touch. The autonomic nerve damage causes problems with involuntary functions leading to symptoms such as abnormal blood pressure and heart rate, reduced ability to perspire, constipation, bladder dysfunction (e.g., incontinence), and sexual dysfunction.[2]

Polyneuritis in birds represents the later stages of a thiamine deficiency, probably caused by buildup of the intermediates of carbohydrate metabolism. In the initial stages of deficiency, lethargy and head tremors may be noted. A marked decrease in appetite is also seen in birds fed a thiamine-deficient diet. Poultry are also susceptible to neuromuscular problems, resulting in impaired digestion, general weakness, star-gazing, and frequent convulsions.
Polyneuritis may be seen in mature birds ~3 wk after they are fed a thiamine-deficient diet. As the deficiency progresses to the legs, wings, and neck, birds may sit on flexed legs and draw back their heads in a star-gazing position. Retraction of the head is due to paralysis of the anterior neck muscles. Soon after this stage, chickens lose the ability to stand or sit upright and topple to the floor, where they may lie with heads still retracted. Thiamine deficiency may also lead to a decrease in body temperature and respiratory rate. Testicular degeneration may be noted, and the heart may show slight atrophy. Birds consuming a thiamine-deficient diet soon show severe anorexia. They lose all interest in feed and will not resume eating unless given thiamine. If a severe deficiency has developed, thiamine must be force-fed or injected to induce eating.

I hope this info answers some outstanding questions. Good luck to all, Robin aka lobzi

Pumpkin seems to suddenly be fading fast.
She has become suddenly progressively weak.
She is taking very deep, conscious breaths with her mouth open and she has mucus coming out her nostrils.
She doesn't seem to be in any pain and we have an appointment with the vet at 6:00 pm for euthanizing her by injection.
hit.gif

Robin, thanks so much for all your help and support.

You're sort of right, Lobzi, the virus that cause Marek's is a strain of Herpes - a common virus that causes everything from canker sores to AIDS depending on the virulence of the strain. Don't worry...the Marek's strain does not infect humans. Because Marek's typically attacks the brain, nerves, and often causes cancer-like tumors on vital organs, I have heard it described as "chicken cancer" - except it's worse because it is highly contagious, there is no cure, and the contagion can remain viable on your property for more than a year after the last sick chicken is gone. These are the reasons why the prevailing wisdom is to cull any bird suspected to have Marek's. For some of us, the risk and consequences for the rest of our flock is too much to allow us to give comfort care to a dying bird until it dies naturally. Meanwhile, this sick bird is shedding the virus in large numbers and probably infecting all the other birds. It comes down to sacrificing the one for the good of the many. Will there be some birds culled because of misdiagnosis? Probably. But I would argue that far more birds die because a bird with Marek's (or about 6 other serious diseases with similar symptoms) is allowed to live and subsequently infects the whole flock.

I just wanted to bring up this point on this thread about vitamin therapy for paralysis because I fear that someone reading these posts months or years later will be lured into believing that paralysis in chickens is ALWAYS a vitamin deficiency and is ALWAYS curable. This is simply not true. In fact, any bird older than 3 months is far less likely to be suffering from vitamin deficiency and the nervous disorders or paralysis it creates. Apparently, as chickens mature, their vitamin requirements are dramatically less than when they are small chicks. Mature birds suffering nutritional deficiency are more likely seen in the case of spoiled feed or birds that are strictly free-range and/or fed scratch grains exclusively.

I sincerely hope that all of you will find the vitamin therapy successful in treating your sick birds. If, however, you do not see improvement over the course of 3-4 weeks, I think you can safely assume that you're dealing with something other than nutritional deficiency. BTW - to minimize the risk of spreading serious disease to another flock, do not give away, sell, or show any of your birds while you are treating them just in case your diagnosis is wrong.

I think I cautioned earlier that vitamin B therapy will help if the paralysis is due to it deficiency.
Im so sorry to hear about Pumpkin.
We cannot save them all but we try our hardest.

I lost my Pretty Boy Roo a few months ago. I tried everything I could to treat a respiratory illness he came down with. My heart breaks that I could not save him. I rest knowing that he is in a better place without pain or daily struggle to survive.
In his memory:
10007_roo_10_months.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you did caution everyone reading the thread. The Vit. B therapy was absolutely worth the time and effort in case it was a deficiency. And anyone dealing with a chicken who is sick should absolutely be separating them from the rest of their flock in case it turns out to be something contagious.

I don't believe Pumpkin has had Marek's but perhaps sustained some sort of neurological damage somehow. But folks trying this out should always have in the back of their mind that it very well could be Marek's and take appropriate precautions with the rest of their flock.

I am truly sorry about Pumpkin. I know how hard we have been trying to help them. I wish there were more I could say to comfort you. Give your burdens to the Lord and know that you did everything you could...more than most people would do.

I am going to continue the B therapy. Unless I notice it's getting worse or there being no improvement within a week or 2, than I will do what I can.

I am going to go feed my little one again.

Did you ever get Pumpkin on a good antibiotic? Even an ear infection could screw up your balance.

Quote:
Not because she honestly hasn't displayed any other symptoms or discomfort which is why I thought, given her age of 4 months, we might be dealing with a vitamin deficiency. Other than this weakness (it doesn't seem to be paralysis) she is perfectly fine.

Also, the vet has called me and we discussed over the phone. We are bringing Pumpkin in to be checked out - not necessarily euthanized. She wants to take a look and see what's up.

Any suggestions are really welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom