whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

Quote:
No, those darn respiratory issues are tough. Hang in there with her. Mainly, here is what I learned with Roo : dont stress her. I think her chances are better if you dont stress her.

hard not to stress her when i have to force her meds.why do you think its a respitory problem?

I am so sorry to hear that. I wish there was an easy solution to this heartache. I am still trying to think of what's right for my little one. There is no way my Runt can enjoy a good life having to live this way. I have become even more attached to him/her then any injured or sick animal I have saved or tried to save. Just the way s/he looks to me with questioning eyes. It has broken my heart every time I see him/her trying to walk. Mostly because everything else seems so normal with him/her. I question if what I am doing is only prolonging the inevitable. Or if I did go ahead and have my hubby end him/her...I would make myself sick wondering if there was more I could do... or even just keep on keeping on will hurt more in the long run, especially if there is no improvement. This whole thing makes me so sad and sick to my tummy.

I have had to have 3 of my chickens "taken care of" due to them being mean roosters...and that was hard but had to be done. I couldn't let them kill other chickens and/or hurt my kids. But this is so much different to me. It would also be so much different if this little one was suffering. That just don't seem to be the problem with this one. I know s/he can't be "happy" or enjoying life the way s/he deserves to... but can I change that part of life for him/her.

I have just been so confused and lost. I only want to do what's right for the baby. It's beyond my "feelings". Every time I have someone tell me..."It's just a chicken", I want to keep on keeping on just to "prove" them wrong. I'm praying for a miracle. And I believe in the Lord with all I am. So, I am going to pray hard about this and ask for answers as to what I should do. I may sound like a dork to some but I have Him, The Lord, to help with my burdens. I know He will tell me in some way or another which way to go. In the mean time, if s/he isn't getting worse, I will continue to help him/her by Feedings, cleanings, massages, slings, stretching, loving, snuggling until then. I don't mind any of it at all. So for now, we are ok with this.

Keep your head up and do what you feel is right for your girl. It's understandable if you feel the best thing to do is to put her down. It was awesome that you have taken the time, money, and energy trying to do right by her. We can't blame ourselves for whatever happens. There is a reason for everything. Just remember that the Lord loves animals too and sometimes He needs to keep making the farm bigger up there in heaven.

Take care and continue to let us all know how it's going.

~Sara

Last edited:
Quote:
Kyrose, how is your baby girl doing?
Thinking of you.
hugs.gif

Pam and Pumpkin

well queeny is still alive,but it seems like anything i try to do for her just makes her feel worse.so im thinking its time to make the call and have my hubbt put her down when he gets home from work.i hate to give up but i dont want her to suffer.shes a sweet little girl and doesnt deserve it.so unless she does a big turn around today ill be burying my sweet little one tonight.sometimes having pets really sucks..
hit.gif

My advice is dont do anything. Let her rest, dont stress her. She may improve if you just stop trying. I wish I hadnt tried so hard with Roo. I know all my attempts to treat him just stressed him out. I feel fairly certain I did him no favors.
I also heard that birds/animals dont suffer like you might think. That they have some sort of natural response to being hurt or sick that causes them not to suffer like we think they are. Let her rest. Dont even try to feed her but let her have water and food available within reach.

i have one more thought.can they get worms that stay in their bodies?the vet checked her poo and said it was ok.but are there worms that maybe stay in the intestines and you dont know they are there? just want to make sure i cover everything.i have to get her to eat.shes skin and bones,no meat.she will die from that...

The Gape Worm also called Syngamus Tachea mainly affects chickens, turkeys and game birds, especially pheasants but can affect other wild birds as well which makes eradication difficult. Infestation offen occurs when there are wild pheasants close to your birds. Gapeworm infestation can occur either directly by birds eating eggs that have been swallowed or coughed up by infested birds, or indirectly by intermediate hosts such as earthworms or snails. Young birds up to 8 weeks of age are particularly susceptible to gape worm. Gapeworms normally live in the tachea (windpipe) but are also found in the bronchi and lungs.
Typically, eggs are picked up from the ground or intermediate hosts such as worms or snails. The eggs hatch and the larvae penetrate the intestine walls and move to the lungs and bronchi. It is here they go through a larval moult, before travelling up to the trachea. Male and female gapeworms attach to one another once they arrive here. This process takes around 7 days. Gapeworm lay eggs that get coughed up onto the ground or swallowed and passed out in the faeces.
Signs and Symptoms
Infestation causes respiratory distress. Gasping for breath or 'gaping' as it is known is the biggest sign of gape worm. Shaking of the head and neck stretching are common. When birds are held, gurgling or a 'tracheal rattle' can often be heard. This can often be confused with respiratory infection, if in doubt, check for other signs of respiratory disease. If a heavy infestation occurs, death by suffocation will occur. Fully grown gape worms are 'Y' shaped and vary in size between 1 and 2cm long.
Treatment.
Chickens are particularly prone to respiratory diseases so it is important to ensuring you have a good worming schedule to eliminate the possibility of a respiratory problem being confused with a gape worm infestation. Gurgling noises that come from the throat of the bird can be caused by gapeworm and can be confused with a respiratory problem.
As with all internal parasites, there are many treatments that will kill these worms but rotating the grazing area will help to stop birds becoming re-infected. Internal Parasites or Worms in Chickens and Other Poultry provides some ideas for worming poultry. Flubenvet is licenced for use in poultry and will kill gapeworms.

well she doesnt have any of those symptoms.she eats,her crop fills,then its empty but she still looses weight.where is the food going.im sure she has a vit. deficiency due to the fact that her food is not doing her any good.thats where,i believe,the problem is.you are so knowledgable about alot of things.what would we do without you?
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom