What's Your Chickens names and Why are they named that?

Tank - 3 years ago, my three chicks hatched and I named two of the three. Couldn't think of a name for the last and biggest boy. I had a dream where I called him a tank and the name just stuck. lol

Suri - Tank's sister and the only black and female from the three. One day I was yelling at her dad (Erik) and I called him Sir. Suri was kind of cute so one thing lead to another and yeah... Suri.

Blueberry - Recently got her from my friend and she is blue. I was going to call her Scout but remembered that I always wanted a bird called Blueberry. It just stuck and I'm glad I called her that.

Ophelia - I like weired, sofisticated kind of names I guess. She's named after the character in Hamlet. It really fits her well.

Seamus - A cute, Irish name. I like Irish names and RIR's remind me of Ireland.

Whitey - He's a Cornish x and I didn't want to give him a real name. He's white so... yeah.

Yakky - My aunt's duck and she named it after the little yellow cartoon duck and also a pet from her childhood.

Daffy - Also my aunt's duck. The name is self explanitory.

My three grown ladies are all Rhode Island Reds-Bossy (self explanatory), Fancy-she has a "ruffle" of whitish feathers on her chest and Gimpy-the first night when I went to pick up my girls from my best friends house, I went into her coop to get my chickens-there were supposed to be 15. When I got there, I didn't see any chickens, some scoundrel on come onto her yard ( she had already moved) and stole her chickens, goat and lamb! After searching the place and calling her to let her know what had happened, I went back into the coop since it was warmer in there to wait for my friend and her new husband to show up. I went in first and my dog ginger shot into the coop door ahead of me, well, low and behold, there was one chicken sitting there, that my dog quickly went after! I managed to grab her collar and pull her off and out the door, but the poor lady bird was just laying there, I was sure she was dead! Miraculously she wasn't, just in shock! I searched the coop again and found two more ladies huddled together in a dark corner under an old table. I managed to get all three birds into my carrier and out to my vehicle without any more damage done. I finally got all the critters home and the new girls in their brand new coop that I had just finished completing. I checked over my injured bird-no blood, but she wouldn't stand up-oh no! Broken leg I thought. I kept her seperate from the other two, since she needed more tlc and watched her carefully for a few days. She ate and drank, but didn't move around. Eventually I noticed that she would try to stand up, after a couple of weeks she was up hopping about on one leg. I let her out with her other friends, who kinda picked on her, but not too bad. She now lives happily with the other two, although she is the lowest ranking chicken currently. She hops around on her one good leg, using the weaker leg for balance and she does "scratch" with the weaker leg, so that is how Gimpy got her name! My 15 new pullets are not named yet, they are 8 weeks old now and I am waiting to see what the personalities are before naming them-hopefully I won't ever have to go through the trauma of Gimpy again! My dog now pretty much ignores the chickens, unless I am in the pen with them and she gets jealous, then she barks at them. When that happens, Bossy goes to the fence, cackles back at the dog, and if the dog is close enough, pecks her on the nose through the fence!

Our latest is our first bantam chick. His/her name is Mammoth.
gig.gif

I have 16 but only four have definate names.
Mocha- Golden Wyandotte- Wife and stepdaughter named her
Latte- Golden Wyandotte- Wife and stepdaughter named her
Seussie- Araucana- My only green egg layer ( After Dr. Suess)
Halley- Golden Comet- As a kid I remember the Halley's Comet craze

I have 3 Plymouth Rocks, 1 more Golden Wyandotte, 3 Black Australorps, 1 Black Sex Link, 1 Silver Wyandotte, 3 Rhode Island Reds (I guessed I didn't name these yet due to hopething they would have some distinguising marks to make it easier to know who's who.)

Loverboy - Lav Orp Roo, because he was always loving on me, until I took him away from his girls. Then he wanted to kill me.

Mattie and Marolyn - Splash Silkie Hens, the kids named them.

Medusa- Black Aussie Hen- DON'T Touch her eggs!! You will be missing a hunk of skin!

Sophee- My husband named her, not sure why he picked that name, but it fits her.

Vegas - White Silkie Roo, named by Sunshine Silkies. Because luck is in his corner.

Romeo and Juilet - Pair of Lavender Silkies, just because they are such pretty birds.

Dominous- Coronation Split Sussex - my son named him, he wanted him to have a warriors name.

Lacey- Coronation Split Sussex hen- my daughter named her because she has a lace around her neck.

Queen Elizabeth - Black Silkie Hen - because she is Queen of the coop!

Buddy -Lavender Silkie Rooster - I call every animal Buddy. Drives my husband crazy!!!

Felicity - Lavender hen - kids named her.

We have 3 RIR hens named Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. We don't plan on eatting them, it was just funny. The names are used interchangably.

2 BO - one named Mary (because she is just so sweet) and the other Lizard (because again, I thought it was funny)

1 Columbian Wyandotte - named Aloha. My 12 year old could only remember her breed by word association with the word "Hawiian" - thusly Aloha.

2 Barred Rock hens named Meg and Peg. Meg has better defined bars than Peg. My 5 year old son and 12 yr old daughter named them.

1 White Jersey Giant - named Cloudy - because when she was a chick, she was grey and white with a bit of yellow mixed in - like a cloud at sunset. My daughter named her. She is now all white.

1 chick was sold to us as "most probably a white orpington" so that's what I went with, but have noticed her legs are turning green so is a suspected undercover Easter Egger without muffs or beard. Her name is Sunshine because she was a pretty yellow as a chick. She is now also all white. My 12 yr old daughter named her.

They were all purchased on the last day of March at about a week and a half old with the exception of the BR's, they are a week older. I'm pretty sure they are all hens. The only comb that is changing is Aloha's, and it's staying a pinkish-peach and not turning red. She doesn't have the posture of a roo either. Seems we got lucky LOL.
The names don't seem to matter to any of them, they come running whenever I call "Chick Chick Chick".

2 Silkies - General Tso and Sesame (after Asian chicken dishes)
2 Americuanas - Bee (short for BBQ chicken), and Fry (short for Fried chicken)
The funny part is that we are vegetarians, so they won't be turned into any of those things.

1 Cochin - Beatrix (a variation of Beatrice, which seems like a proper old fashioned name - the puffy feathers remind me of a petticoat)
3 Buff Orpingtons - Clark, Ethel, and Edith (more old fashioned names, more petticoats)

Carl - Was purchased as a pullet chick, named Carly in honor of my sister who recently died. Then I realized he was a roo, and he became Carl.
Rebecca - sounded like a good "New England-y" sort of name for a Plymouth Rock Barred, but SHE turned out to be an EE. Ooops.
Matilda - good Australian name for a BA. Think "Waltzing Matilda."
Lacey - SLW. Not much imagination there...
Greta - Black Sex Link. Sexy little thing.
wink.png

Bernadette - long involved story there, refers to another Bernadette I knew years ago who was really CUCKOO, with a last name similar to "Marans."
Buffy - uhhh, she's a Vampire Slaying Chicken, just a coinkydink she's a Buff Orpington. Really. Honest.
Minerva and Millicent - Lakenvelders I purchased from another BYCer, they were originally named Minnie and Daisy.
---
adolescent chicks:
Betsy - a Barred Rock, who was the bitsiest chick of those I bought that day. Bitsy became Betsy, also New England-y sounding.
Rhoda - RIR. Nearly a mandatory name for a RIR, doncha think?
Laverne & Shirley - Welsummers. Just seemed like a good name for a pair o' girls hanging out together.
Amos & Ellen - pair of bantam blue cochins; Amos was SUPPOSED to be Amy. Wrong!
Thelma & Louie - Cayuga ducklings, straight run. Louie started hopefully as Louise, but grew up to be a drake.
----
Youngest chicks in brooder:
Georgia & Alice, Silver Sebrights. Can change their names easily to George and/or Alex if they turn out to be roos.
Charlotte - Buff Brahma.
Lola - black bantam Cochin.

We have very significant names for ours that met each of their personalities:

2 EE hens- holly hawk (cause she looks like a hawk) and toots
3 PBR hens- Ruth, Esther and Mary because they are so faithful and follow us everywhere!!
1 NHR- Sarah Sylvia Cynthia Stout- because she is very stout and she comes to that name (Sarah Sylvia for short)
2 GLW- Princess Peach and Duchess (I have a 5 year old daughter that thinks all of their names should have something to do with being a princess)
1 SLW- Snowflake, Because there are no two alike!
1 Blue Andalusian- Betty Blue
1 RIR- Henrietta, the girl lays an egg every single day, I think she deserves that name!
1 Partridge Cochin- Pear tree, well of course in my 5 year olds world a partridge lives in a pear tree of course!
1 French Wheaten Marans- Kevin, well... we wanted to name one of our chickens Kevin because of the movie UP and she fit the name
smile.png

2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, one Roo and a hen- Romeo and Juliet, they never leave each others side!! Truly lovers!!
Last but not least our 1 PBR Roo- Warden, really because that is what he is! His name says it all! He is the warden and he has lived up to his name!!

Back
Top Bottom