What's Your Chickens names and Why are they named that?

Jjust found out that 2 of my Rhode Island Reds are actually Production Reds- and my son changed Sunflower to Popcorn because she's really fat and fluffy like a piece of popcorn! Lol! :)

I named mine after flowers. Pansy, Poppy,Rosie,Marigold,Petunia...etc. Because I figure that is as close as I am going to get to having a flower garden with chickens in the yard.

goodpost.gif
gig.gif

One of my friends named her chickens Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Don't think she ever got around to acquiring Supper, Midnight Snack or Elevenses!

My own chickens have more pedestrian names- see my sig line.

Used to I would name my chickens after confederate generals. My most beloved hen was Roberta E. Lee. She lived with another hen, Stonewall Jackson and a guinea named Jeff Davis. Then I got Judy. Judy was purchased on my grandmothers birthday, hence the name. Then judy started crowing.... I had two ducks, I named Wilhelm and Bismark (Yes Im a history nerd lol.) Then I joined the Army and I lost all of them through one means or another. I had lots and lots and lots of other chickens but I dont remember them as well. I now currently am starting again with T-Rex and Princess Peach. The wife named them, T-Rex cuz she said the little day old chick wings looked like T-Rex arms, and Princess Peach because she (the wife) is a goofball. I like the name T-rex cuz I love dinosaurs and I wanted to name the other one Oviraptorosaurus or Archeopteryx but the Boss said she cant pronounce those. Were getting some more in April so we will have to see what she comes up with...

We have 5 hens:
Mine is 'Pippa MiddleHen' after Pippa Middleton because she is such a gorgeous hen.
My kids named the rest.
Brandon picked 'Saphira' after the beautiful dragon in the Eragon series of books. The sun glimmers off her feathers-a beautiful bronzy gold- just like the dragons scales glimmer from the sun in the book (though she is blue).
Justin has a Welsummer so he named her 'Summer Sparrow' (huge fan of Jack Sparrow)
Sarah named hers 'Martha' after the dog in the cartoon Martha Speaks.
The twins Ryan and Colin (who were almost 2 when we got the hens) picked 'Kipper' because that's about all they talked about. Kipper was their favorite cartoon.

Mine are (pretty commonly, it seems) named old lady names...most are just named after bossy friends my grandma had while I was growing up :)
Gertrude - actually after the pet duck from that old movie journey to the center of the earth...that duck does get eaten, so i hope that doesn't turn out to be bad luck for her!
Cora, Mitzi, Joyce, Henrietta, and Frannie.

I suspect Henrietta may turn out to be a Henry!

My kids named each of ours

RIR - Volcano- because she is red
Blue Andalusian- Snuggles.... but she is the least snuggly of the bunch
Barred rock- Amelia Bedelia - cuz that is the best story ever... when she dresses the chicken haha cracks my kiddo up
Buff orp- Marigold - because of her color!

Back
Top Bottom