What's your favorite/friendliest breed

Pics
I have a pair of Barred rock sisters who are the friendliest, most social to us in our current flock. Raising just two babies with them meant they both got handled a whole lot but our birds from last spring did too- and only one of thst big hatch of bardyard mixes is real friendly.

I miss Moonbeam, girl in my profile pic. We lost her and she was a lap chicken. Buff Orp mix.

I think breed temperament plus handling comes into play. Agree with the above, Leghorns are so skittish! Hoping our silkies stay girls and are social and sweet.

But definitely recommend Barred rocks.

People keep chickens for a variety of reasons, which impacts their favorites based on their preferences. I'd like to know your favorite and friendliest breed. I know a big part is just their overall individual personality. I've read about the buff Orpington war lol and I love mine and even though she's super sweet, she isn't necessarily the friendliest. I have 3 black Australorps, 1 olive egger, 1 buff Orpington. Two of my black australorps are lap chickens.
I recently added 2 polish, 1 sapphire olive egger, and 1 Easter egger. They're about 5 weeks old.
My Easter egger is SO friendly!! She jumps up on my arm almost on command and loooovvvveees to be held. There doesn't seem to be much information on sapphire olive eggers?
Anyways. If I were to get more chickens........ which I'm trying so hard not to but I just love how sweet this Easter egger is, what would be your suggestion for friendly birds!
I don't care about their laying quantity because I don't eat eggs, they're strictly pets :) thanks!!
My Speckled Sussex is the sweetest of them all. She's very gentle and so sweet to my kids. Definitely get one!

My SL Sebright and her babies (who are crossed with OEGB) have no fear of people and love to follow me around.
My Buff Orpington, New Hampshire, Black Silkie and Black Marans are always very trusting.
And my OEGB Rooster is quite a gentleman.
My Barred Rock sisters and white OEGB hen, however... let's just say they love to cause problems! 🤣

My buff Orpington are all sweat but three fly into my lap as soon as I sit down. They all can be handled.
My Wyandotte’s will come to me, hang around my feet but don’t want to be handled.

Attachments

• 9F684219-B2ED-453F-A3DF-93015B732A6E.jpeg
    9F684219-B2ED-453F-A3DF-93015B732A6E.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom