What's your worst predator?

Mine was a mink. I had one squeeze through a 1-1/2 opening and entered my chicken barn. He killed 25 chickens total. 15 one night, and 10 another. Every single one was dead each time

He never ate on none of them. He only sucked the blood out the neck. Minks kill for sport. I trapped him, and hung him on a near by tree until he rotted off.

I since covered every crack, added more chicken barns, and added a radio playing loud music 24 hours a day. I also have geese on duty out front of the barns, instead of being locked inside.

I also take my Mini Schnauzers for walks to use it out close to barnyard. Most small critters respect others territory. Between the geese and noisy radio, I haven't had a problem in two years.

humans are there worst predater i think
big_smile.png

Yes,humans can be bad,but so far my fence keeps them and dogs out.For me hawks are the worst.

Racoons for they have slaughtered 4 of our laying hens in one night.
Possum have injured them, but have not a cause death.
Rat snake who stole and ate our eggs in the coop. Only the last time it swolled an egg too big to get out. It was the last supper for the snake.

I know there hawks, owls, foxes, bobcats,opossums, dogs and racoons in my neighborhood. A fox ate my neighbor's flock a few years ago. We saw it crossing our driveway heading in that direction through the woods. My coop is covered with 1 inch chicken wire My backyard where the coop is is fenced with hog wire. I have an electric fence around the perimeter and also around the coop. My lab also stays back there. I have seen him sleeping near the coop. He doesn't bother the chickens they free range through his area all day. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom