Wheaton genes

Julie dingman evans

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
We just acquired a beautiful blue Wheaton rooster and we’re wondering if the Wheaton gene is dominant or recessive? For instance, if we bred our blue Wheaton to a black hen would the babies be blue BLbl and black BLBL ? or would they be blue and black Wheaton?

We just acquired a beautiful blue Wheaton rooster and we’re wondering if the Wheaton gene is dominant or recessive? For instance, if we bred our blue Wheaton to a black hen would the babies be blue BLbl and black BLBL ? or would they be blue and black Wheaton?
Here's a helpful chart.
bbs-chart.jpg
I'd expect the offspring to have leakage in the hackles, or both hackles, & shoulders of the males.

Some may come out calico in color with the splash offspring.

Breeding a Blue Wheaton cockerel over (Black) Wheaton females would result in both Blue and Black Wheaton. If you bred him to his Blue Wheaton daughters you could get Splash Wheaton.

Breeding a Blue Wheaton cockerel over (Black) Wheaton females would result in both Blue and Black Wheaton. If you bred him to his Blue Wheaton daughters you could get Splash Wheaton.
what if you bred a blue wheaton male to a plain black or solid color female? would the babies be wheaton or just a solid mixed color?

@Amer can probably explain that better than me. But a Blue Wheaton bird crossed to a black bird would result in Blue and Black offspring with leakage (I'd imagine). The second cross would depend on the color the female is and how that would interact with the Wheaton coloration. Blue is a dilute of Black so it really will only effect black feathers.

@Amer can probably explain that better than me. But a Blue Wheaton bird crossed to a black bird would result in Blue and Black offspring with leakage (I'd imagine). The second cross would depend on the color the female is and how that would interact with the Wheaton coloration. Blue is a dilute of Black so it really will only effect black feathers.
X2 wheaten is recessive to black. On the left is such a cross. She was a wheaten Ameraucana over Dominique.
4DD5071A-5F62-4A2B-89B8-AD54D532D117.jpeg

There's two types of Wheaten genes. There's recessive, & dominant Wheaten.
How do you know the difference in recessive / dominate and which is better for proper wheaten color? I have a bantam Ameraucana- wheaten rooster and blue wheaten rooster over wheaten hens. I just hatched chicks a few days ago from this group and some are more white and a couple are more yellow to the down. Do you know which chick phenotype will result in better color on adults? Here are the parents can you tell if they are recessive for dominant?
475EA177-EDDF-4E11-851E-171806091B9D.jpeg
4DE6C4E0-C477-4EB4-BF09-7928A277BAD6.jpeg
610CD927-4B9F-47C3-BF71-2331D7C78988.jpeg

How do you know the difference in recessive / dominate and which is better for proper wheaten color? I have a bantam Ameraucana- wheaten rooster and blue wheaten rooster over wheaten hens. I just hatched chicks a few days ago from this group and some are more white and a couple are more yellow to the down. Do you know which chick phenotype will result in better color on adults? Here are the parents can you tell if they are recessive for dominant?
View attachment 2438125View attachment 2438126View attachment 2438127
I don't know the difference between two the two, I'm working with the dominant Wheaten.

They appear to be dominant Wheaten, but I myself need to come across the recessive to know more about it. I've seen it talked about, but haven't seen the difference between the two. The only difference I believe is the recessive requires two copies to show, I think(Educated Guess).

But test breeding will be required to figure out which Wheaten genes you're dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom