When can I give baby chicks to their forever home?

BeccaDoe

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Aylett, VA
Sorry about the long title. I didn't know a good short way to ask!

I have let my broody silkie, Dawn, hatch six eggs. Four have hatched and two are pipping. Thing is, I did it at the ultimatum of only if I could find homes for the babies. We found homes, don't worry! But I'm wondering WHEN do I let their new people take them away? 🤔

Attachments

• 20230419_150215.jpg
    20230419_150215.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 248

I have let my broody silkie, Dawn, hatch six eggs. Four have hatched and two are pipping. Thing is, I did it at the ultimatum of only if I could find homes for the babies. We found homes, don't worry! But I'm wondering WHEN do I let their new people take them away? 🤔
Is the broody raising them? Chicks are usually sold as day old chicks.

While you can rehome your chicks as day olds, (Unless my own chickens hatch them, I get all my chicks as day olds) you need to make sure the people getting them can properly care for chicks that young. They will need a heated brooder, either heat lamp or preferably heat plate, chick starter feed and other supplies. I
If you keep them until they are older, they will no longer need heat and there are more food options. You can also charge more for them.
You should also sell them in small groups as chicls are flock animals and a single chick often doesn't do well. IMHO, I wouldn't go lower than groups of three.

Back
Top Bottom